• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would you vaccinate a bun with potential neurological problems ie a tumour?

Would you vac a bun with potential neurological problems as in thread?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 14 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

angeleyes

Warren Veteran
Basically I have Maddie approx 4/5 years old who a few months ago started having absent episodes, fitting and not being able to stand etc. EC was ruled out (she had panacur anyway) vet 99% certain we were looking at a tumour.
She had a couple of months of steriods each week and has perked up considerably.
She is still wobbly on her feet sometimes but that could be due to age related problems and sometimes if she falls on her back she struggles to get up but she hasn't fitted for months *touch wood* She also hasn't had steroids for a couple of months either.
My other 7 buns are of course up to date with all vacs but she is overdue both. They were due when she was on steroids so couldn't do them, now i am not sure wether to get her done or not?
Vet has consulted manufacturers who were no help at all and said it could make her worse or could have no effect at all, they also don't know if the vac will even cover her and make her immune (as can be!)

So what are your opinions please, vac or no vacs in these circumstances?

i didnt vaccinate for myxi with pearl because i decided that as she could still catch it she would be too weak to fight it with or without the vaccine. she did have her VHD but it was before she got really poorly.

tbh at a certain point of illness i would make the decision not to bother because what exactly is it preventing when its instant PTS anyhows no point attempting to fight with a terminal bunny :cry::cry:

is what i think anyhows...

The trouble is we don't actually know what is wrong with her.
Vet L thinks i should have them done and I am waiting until C gets back from honeymoon to hear her opinion, i was dead set no until she said i should probs get her done :?

TBH most vets would still recommend it from my experience. They don't seem to like going against vaccinating at all especially if the problem is long term :?

We have vaccinated rabbits with diagnosed tumours before on vet advice but we would never do it again

my vet was keen to get vhd done but thats because its around here and its a horrible death and it was before she was diagnosed too. she never tried to persuade me to get the myxi done tho after we knew pearls heart was knackered

theres also the argument once theres some immunity do they really need topping up????

TBH most vets would still recommend it from my experience. They don't seem to like going against vaccinating at all especially if the problem is long term :?

That was my experience too - it was my decision to stop vaccinating my 2 poorly bunnies. The vet was happy to stop the VHD vaccinations, but wanted to continue with myx.

Personally I don't think I would, although I can appreciate how hard a decision it is.

I will definately not do VHD on a compromised bunny - I have three that will not be vacc'd (out of 12)

I have always given the myxo, but again, as Donna said, even with the myxo, if there is a chance that they would be unable to fight a lesser form of myxo what would be the point in risking a vaccine when you know they wouldn't be able to fight the infection?

Back