• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

White mark in eye - what is this ?

Charys

Mama Doe
I've just been down sat with the bunnies and noticed something odd with one of Mint's eyes. He appears to have a kind of white/milky line running across the eye. It is kind of like a jet trail in the sky that has been slightly blown by the wind (trying to find a way to describe it that makes sense). He is in good form apart from that, has had a vet check today and his myxi jab. It has definitely never been there before...any ideas....an injury to the cornea ? (although it looks deeper than that) Something related to the jab today ? I would be grateful if anyone has an idea as I am quite worried.

Last edited:
Hi, I don't mean to panic you and someone else may have more knowledge but from the way you've described it, it sounds like the way which Mr Bingley's eye was when Blakey accidentally cut his eye. We didn't catch it in time and he had to have his eye removed as the infection was too advanced to save it.
The white line sounds like the beginning of the infection so I would get to the vets and get some eye drops which will hopefully prevent it spreading.

Oooooo, flip, I have been having the same thought myself that he has a minor eye injury. Luna and Mint are totally loved up, grooming, licking and happy as anything - but I guess they could get a scratch on the eye from anything really ?! He is just slightly squinting it closed at times. It must be something that happened today, I wonder if it was when he was panicking when being taken out of the carrying box at the vet ? Thanks for replying, I will get him checked tomorrow and some drops, another day, another vet trip.

When you say you didn't catch it in time, was it a good deal more advanced than I am describing ?

Last edited:
No problem, I remember having the same heart in my mouth feeling when Mr Bingley had his. Is there any way you could get to the vets sooner? If it is like Bingley's his went manky really quickly, from the line on eye to full blown infection in just under 2 days. Or if there's a way they could prescribe you Tiacil drops you could pick up and use overnight until you can get him in tomorrow?

Eta - just saw your update. We spotted the line first evening, thought it was s Blakey hair, the next day it was a much bigger split on the eyeball and by time we got the drops that afternoon it was beyond saving really.

Last edited:
Nutmeg has a cloudy spot on her eye that the vet thinks is from some sort of injury. I'm pretty sure it affects her vision a bit. I hope Mint's starts healing soon.

Ahhh, that's interesting. I've had a really good look at it, from the side and as close as I can, and it definitely looks deeper than on the surface. It doesn't look like an injury that can 'come in' from the surface - does that make sense ? Is Nutmeg's clouded spot kind of inside ?

I don't want to ring up our vet and use the emergency out of hours service, as to be honest he is SO well in himself (totally normal in everyway) that I'm sure they will say to wait until the morning and think I am doo-lally regarding this as an emergency. I think your Mr.Bingley must have been considerably worse, this mark/line is quite small. There hasn't been a change in the last couple of hours at all. I have my fingers firmly crossed that in the morning it will be better or unchanged. I will go out and check at first light. Thanks so much for both your replies, much appreciated.

Actually, I've just read an article by Tamsin, detailing rabbit eye problems. It seems it could also a be corneal ulcer caused by something as simple as a scratch from some hay.

Ahhh, that's interesting. I've had a really good look at it, from the side and as close as I can, and it definitely looks deeper than on the surface. It doesn't look like an injury that can 'come in' from the surface - does that make sense ? Is Nutmeg's clouded spot kind of inside ?

I think it's more on the surface. She's a fidget so I'm not sure I'd be able to get a good picture of it.

Here! Can just about see it in this pic.

_IGP7344-vi.jpg

Not the sharp white spot at the top of the eye, that's the flash, but the less defined hazy spot nearer the bottom.

Yeah, if it's come on all of a sudden it is more than likely a scratch. A lot of the time the membrane of the eye will 'close' over a scratch but the infection will start in the 'jelly' of the eye, if that makes sense? So you,ll see the infection as inside the eye. Oh, you wouldn't think I had a journalism degree with the confusing way I explain things :lol:
Loads of vibes for Mint for tomorrow at the vet, let us know how he gets on.
Tammy x

Yes, his mark looks exactly like Nutmeg's ! Even in the same place on the eyeball.

Thanks BMT ( canI call you that ? lol) that makes PERFECT sense, your education was not wasted. :lol:

Hiyer ! He has an appointment at just after 2 today, thought it better to see the vet I wanted than just 'anyone' at the surgery this morning. The white mark is still the same, no change for the worst, another reason why I thought a few hours waiting would be ok.

Good news. It is a scratch in/across the cornea, with a little chunk of the cornea which has been snagged off - probably on hay or something. The vet could see underneath the white area by getting the right angle when viewing the eye. So, he has some drops and should be fine ! Thanks for your help.

Back