• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby Barn Owls! Photos.

fiona3

Warren Scout
I thought i would share some photos of what i was up to yesterday! I was out with a ringer at various sites where we had put up Barn owl nest boxes for a project at work.
It has been a bad winter for these little critters with snow cover for months so no voles to eat!:cry: But the good news is it was a great winter for the voles :D They hid under the snow without predation and their numbers have gone crazy! Now there is lots and lots of food for the Owls that did survive. All the chicks had very full crops and the boxes were even full of dead moles, voles, mice. Yesterday we found 9 little guys in our nest boxes and we still have 4 sites to check! FANTASTIC! Very cute, but VERY, VERY, SMELLY! The smell of Amonia takes your breath away! Not to mention the Mites and of course they all pooped all over us while we were up the ladders putting them back in! :shock: You dont want to see the state of our shirts when we got back to the office! :lol:
How cute are this wee lot? :love:
IMG_0908.jpg

IMG_0900.jpg

IMG_0878.jpg

The smallest never even woke up while we were ringing them! lol. Didnt give a toss that they had been taken out of their nest box! So cute.:D Just said "Do what you like with me, but dont wake me up, zzzz"
The older ones were a different kettle of fish! I wish i had got a photo of the Barn Owl chick that had attached itself my friends boob with its claws as she climbed the ladder to put it back! And a photo of my friends face! lol.

We were going to go back and see the other nest boxes today, but i declined as its Thursday tomorrow and thats wayyyy to many changes of clothes and washing to do in one week after an encounter with these cute but minging little guys! My OH said "What the hell have you been doing today? you smell like a farmyard?!" :shock: :D Didnt help the last nest was in a cattle barn! The floor was 3ft of cow dung. I did go to the supermarket after work and funnily enough was the only person in the Q!;)

Back