• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

The Bun has started nesting. How long before she gives birth? Updated

Tempest

Warren Scout
I posted before about my sisters accidentally pregnant rabbit.

Well, I just had a phone call and she has just started nesting, she's made a little hollow of hay in her nesting box and is at the moment plucking out fur and keeps going in the box. She has also not eaten much, which my sister has been told is normal before they give birth.

My sister would like to know roughly how long can it be, from when a bun has started nesting to the actual birth? Also (she'll probably ask me this later) how long does the birth itself take?

Last edited:
Sounds like it could be any time now. The lack of eat may be because she knows she'll need to eat the afterbirth soon.

Good luck

Thankyou for responding. She hasn't giving birth as yet, my sister sat up all night with her as the bun was getting worked up and would only be calm with her there. Last I heard she's been running around, jumping on and off the sofa and its quite happy again (the rabbit, not my sister ;) ).

I haven't a clue whats going on, but the bun seems fine at the moment :)

Update

Sorry for not updating sooner, I wanted to make sure we knew exactly what was going on.

Chewy, (my sisters young bun) that was pregnant accidentally has reabsorbed the babies. So won't be having a litter. Although in one way this is quite sad, it is the best outcome for Chewy as she was too young to raise a family.

Thankyou everyone for all your advice :)

Chewy is now waiting for her spay and her husbuns neuter, so they can be reunited. Now that she isn't carrying babies anymore she is growing rapidly :D

did a vet tell you that? If she was about to give birth she couldnt have absorbed them! they would be dead inside her and need removing or she was never pregnant and just having a phantom.

Back