• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spaying(additional costs)

ash&crystal

Alpha Buck
Well i am thinking of getting ash spayed she is 1 year old and the vet has said £90 but i know that it probably doesnt include additional cost for antibiotics, and oother things so how much round about are these and if it is £90 including these does that sound about right

the vet also said it was risky how risky is it and also what would you have to do after wards or before

I spent about £30 on antibiotics etc. I think generally the first round of medicine is included in that first price, it's just if you need extra. Be warned as well that's probably the price before VAT. Mine cost £60 each before VAT, but I paid that for a neuter at a different vet, and male neuters are normally cheaper.

before, make sure they are eating and pooing as normal, and after just observe eating/pooing, make sure they don't touch the wound.

Ask your vet their success rate - 90% is considered low. I think the risk is pretty tiny tbh.

Hope your vet is bunny savvy....To me they dont sound all that confident.
My Mrs had her spey...and ended up being readdmitted...cost about £120 in all.But it should have been about £60 all in.

I think anything between £50 and £100 seems normal for a spay nowadays.

It should include all basic meds such as gut stimulant, pain relief and an antibiotic injection if needed. But wouldn't include additional antibiotics if needed or any treatment if she starts playing with the stitches. However it should include a follow up appointment, but I would check that out with your vet.

I would be slightly concerned that they think the op is risky as it is a fairly routine procedure. Obviously there is a risk with every GA for a bunny and a spay is a big operation but 99.9% of the time it should be straight forward :)

I would ask your vet for some figures on *exactly* what percentage of rabbits they spay, die as a result.

There is always some risk as the anaesthetic is dangerous in itself and the spay is a big op, but it's much safer nowadays than it used to be and as I understand it the loss rate is very low. It's possible that by saying it's risky they are aiming to make you aware that there is some risk, rather than actually saying that the risk is high, if you get me.

You should keep you rabbit warm afterwards because the GA lowers the body temperature (although not so much of an issue now it's summer) and keep a close eye on her to make sure she's not pulling out her stitches.

do NOT fast her before the op like you would do for a cat or a dog, this is very dangerous for rabbits. Make sure she's eating afterwards too. Probably the vet will keep her in until she's eaten something then you will need to make sure that continues when she gets home - if she stops eating or her appetite declines you will need to phone the vet straightaway.

Best of luck, let us know how she does :)

My vet only charges £55 for a spay including everything, so it seems high to me, but I guess it depends on where you are in the country.

At my vet it is £81 for a spay £61 for a neuter then extra for any pain killers or antibiotics, but. Pre op and post op check are included in the price, and any post op complications are also included in the price, out of all my buns being neutered I hve only had a problem with two, one was magic but that is because he was already weak from babies and had an emergancy c section at the same time as her spay, and one of my male buns got internal bleeding, but he was absol fine after, and all his treatment he needed for that was free of charge due to it being a post op complication

eta: so I am about an extra £10-£20 for pain killers and antibiotics

Last edited:
My old vet where I got Honey from was £50 without anything, so injections, VAT etc.

My new vet quoted me £80 qith everything included.

I would ask them if this includes everything or just the procedure.

Back