• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Turning him over

gandr

Young Bun
Hi, :) ( sorry if this is in the wrong place )

When i was at the vets last time for clovers injection the vet said i should turn him over onto his back to check for the flys and stuff. But when i do he is always kicking and struggling so i think im holding him wrong. He was lying down on his side earlyer and i noticed the was bits of poo stuck on his fur but when i tryd to get them off he sat up. Is there any way of turning him over without him kicking?? Also should i get the poo out of his fur for him or will he do it himself?

Thank you :D

I find the best way to turn my buns over is definatly with 2 people. One of you hold his front end and the other hold his back end then flip him over slowly. I kneel on the floor and rest them between my thighs (on their backs) so that they are well supported.
If you can get the poo off without yanking the fur then do, or if he's calm enough you could snip it off. If not dont worry, he'll keep at it :D

It's kind of hard to describe, but I don't actually flip my buns right over. I have one hand holding their chest/front legs and the other supporting their bum and then just tilt them so that their back is against my chest. I hope that makes sense..... probably not. :?

I find it needs another person to help though if there is any cleaning/fur trimming to be done. Sometimes you can snip the lumps of poo off but be very careful not to catch the skin. If he regularly has a messy bottom, it's best to try to work out the cause (usually too many veggies or pellets and not enough hay, but it can be a variety of reasons).

It helps to use a small towel to pick him up to - it's harder to lose your grip and will help protect you from nips and scratches.

I sit them on my lap a bit like a baby would sit so it supports their back and bottom.

When checking for flystrike always check the base of their spine where the tail comes up as this area often gets missed if you turn the bunny right over

I sit them on my lap a bit like a baby would sit so it supports their back and bottom.

When checking for flystrike always check the base of their spine where the tail comes up as this area often gets missed if you turn the bunny right over

I hold mine like this too...cross legged is the easiest way (mine are quite big buns) Then I have one hand on their chest and the other stroking their head. Then J checks their bums/puts their feet cream on.
The best way to get them there I find is to have them facing away from you and then sort of roll them onto their backs in my lap.
Marnie prefers J holding her though.....little hussy :love:

Didnt work :( His paws were flying all over the place, he then jumped down from me and when i picked him up he put his face into me like he does when hes scared :roll: Ill try again tomorrow and ask my mum to help me.

What I do is rest them on my chest, with one hand firmly holding their ears. Your other hand should be supporting the rabbits bum, and all the weight should be there, you don't want to be tugging the ears and hurting the rabbit. Lean foward with them still against your chest, until they're layed on your knee's, then lean back again with one hand still holding the ears. Most rabbits go into a 'trance' which actually is very stressful for them, so try not to do this too much. You can also put one arm round their ribs, and one hand supporting the bum so they're sideways, some buns prefer it this way, others don't.

If I have to have bum access with my fiesty buns then I have their bum in my left hand with their feet facing away from me, my right hand firmly under their front legs, and then holding them sideways onto you quickly tip them onto their backs, and tuck their head and shoulders under your left elbow - oh, and be sitting down when you do it!

Keep your left elbow firmly in place so they feel secure and you have your right hand completely free, and your left hand free, although your arm will be holding the side of their body.

Thanks for the tips guy ... actually checked them without much of a struggle. They both ran off in absolute disgust. Sure they will forgive me once they have finished their pile of spring greens!!!

My Oliver is a nightmare to check over. he hates being touched full stop, let alone checked over and groomed and kicks out and goes mad.. I use a firm grip and hold him close to my chest to calm him as much as possible. I find wearing a thick sleeved top and a good firm postion to hold securly stops and scratches from being kicked. failing that i wrap him a towl or blanket a bit also. he normaly gives up the fight and i normaly always have scratches :lol:

Back