• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do I do?? - this ended up long, sorry.

paulinejoe

Mama Doe
I posted a while back about rehoming a rabbit for a work colleague who no longer feels able to care for him due to pregnancy (and also i think money tbh)

Well, despite SOAD kindly advertising him on here and also me putting him on the rehoming website there have been no takers :(

Now I'd never met the bun as i'd not been round her house before, but she's away at a caravan so today and tomorrow i'm feeding him, i went this morning and it's really upset me and i've been dithering all day whether to post about it in case it somehow got back to her, and i hasten to add i know she loves him and his situation is simply not knowing better and not having the funds to do any different, but - I was shocked to find his cage is tiny i'm sure it's meant for a hamster at the most, he has just a heap of what i think is that "my little friend" hay in the corner but he's used it as his loo so he's not eating it, there's 1 toy thing hanging off the bars and that's it. he's on Wagg bunny mix and she's put a cereal bar thing in as a treat.

I don't know what to do, if i could have him i would but I just don't have the room for him, my two's hutch and run takes up most of the lawn as it is, there's just isn't the space for another 6 foot hutch :(

I was thinking of taking some loo rolls round tomorrow and stuffing them with some nice dried grass and taking maybe a couple of yoggy drops and some of that naturals herbal delight, but then i'm thinking, what's worse - never having it in the first place and not knowing any different or having it for a day then back to nothing???

He does have a little run that goes out in sometimes but i think he's pretty much in that cage all the time.

I had two indoor cages that jess and Joe used to use as toilets when they were indoors but i've lent one to another work colleague to use until she's bonded her two buns together and i need the other one for when Jess gets spayed and will have to come back indoors for a bit, but even if i do offer her the larger of my indoor cages it's still not suitable for a rabbit to be in permanently (although it is better than what he's got now)

It's an awkward situation and i really don't knwo what to do about it :? Any ideas please? thanks xxx

:cry: arr poor thing and poor you. I am despirate for another rabbit but wanted a pair and I am not sure we could cope if it got ill :cry: so I am holding on. I hope he finds a home. Which bunny was he ?

It's George, someones coming to cover reception for a few mins in a sec so i can go and get a drink but when i get back i'll pop his piccie on.

We're not supposed to have pets in our house, the landlord said if we did they'r have to be caged at all times and we'd have to pay £100 extra bond, so i ended up buying a nice hutch/run combo and putting them outside, which luckily they love - got to go, be back in a mo x

Back again! - that's better, i can't leave reception unnatended unless someone comes and covers so i've got a bladder of steel, which i'm sure you really wanted to know lol - so, back to Gorgeous George, here he is: (he is even more adorable in person)

George.jpg
[/IMG]

Yes, so if i were to have him he would have to go in the garden and there physically isn't the space unfortunately, i wouldn't be able to bond a male with a bonded male/female would I?, plus he's not neutered.

So, if he had to be separate then i would have to get him a ladybun and i really can't afford 4 rabbits and all their jabs and insurance, much as i'd love more. (I can't remember whose signature it is but someones says multiple rabbit syndrome cos one is never enough and that is just so true!)

I think my only option is to really pull out all the stops to get him rehomed somewhere with someone who can bond him with another bun and in the meantime i think i will offer her my larger indoor cage, it's better than what he's in now isn't it.

In the short term though, what do you reckon about the loo roll and dried grass? thanks v. much i know it was a long post but it's been bothering me all day and i feel better having got it off my chest :)

Buck, buck, doe combo's arn't impossible I don't think. I have buck, buck, doe, doe and the two bucks and one of the does are really close already. (The other doe is a bit of a nervous bun so is taking a little longer to settle with them.)

I feel so bad for you and George! Its a horrible situation to be in. I honestly think that I would say something to my friend. Surely she will accept a bit of advice from a friend. The cages can be bought fairly cheap secondhand which as you said is not ideal but better than what he has. Ah bless he is a beauty :(

Im afraid that if I'd seen him in that situation I would just get him out now into whatever you currently have - almost anything would be better than what he's in.

Can you take him on and continue to seek a home for him?

Or if you keep him, I'm sure he'd be happier as a single bun than staying where he is?

I have a bun that spent the first 3 years of his life in a tiny cage, and the damage is irrepairable:(

Difficult decision for you with space/money etc to consider.

Thanks for all your advice :wave:

Right, what i am going to do, is offer her the bigger indoor cage - not quite sure how I go about wording it mind you, maybe something along the lines of i've got it spare knocking about in the shed you can have it for nothing if you like...and see what she says. If she says no he's ok where he is then i will have to have a word with my other half about it. I did briefly mention it at lunchtime and he agreed there is no room outside for him..

It so difficult with being in rented accommodation, if it were our house i'd have him in a flash as a foster bun but i'd have to pay £100 (that i don't have) extra bond to have him indoors and they do property inspections every three months, when my two were indoors i had to hide them in the car till the agent had gone :roll: and there's one due soon so being indoors is a complete no-no. It's a newish house too so any damage would show up like a sore thumb too.

He's not had jabs either so can't go outside straight away too. In fact he's never seen a vet in his life, bless him. i think he's about a year old now so hopefully if he could be given a companion and bigger surroundings now he could recover and go on to live a happy life.

So, it's "mission re-home George" full steam ahead! xxx

Awww bless him what a sad story :cry:

I think you should take him :oops: Im in rented accommodation aswell with a no pets other than in cages rule :roll: Well, my buns are free range house buns ;) The owner and agency are none the wiser coz if they ever pop over for anything I put them in a cage . Just make sure you're place is very bunny proofed so that he doesnt damage anything. You'll probs find that after living in such a small area he's well litter trained :(

Save this beautiful boy :love:

Being confined to a bigger cage in your house would be better than where he is now...I would take him and worry about the details later

Aww, poor little bunny, I feel so sorry for him, and for you, what an awful situation.

I hope someone comes along and gives him the home he deserves, I just cant bear the thought of any poor buns living like that. I so want a bigger garden so I can help more bunnies.

Good luck to you what ever you decide, please let us know

Please do what you can to find him a better home.It is so sad to hear about poor bunnies in awful living conditions .Keep us posted someone on here may be able to help.:love::love:

George is so much like Paddy the abandoned bunny we took in 3 months ago. He had been kept in a small outdoor hutch on his own. He is now an indoor bunny and is so affectionate and happy. He binkies, circles, runs around carrying toys and is always doing flops onto his back. He is the reason I am late to work nearly everyday. When he knows I'm about to go he does a flop at my feet so I will stop and give him more nose rubs and pats.

DSCF1334R.jpg

Well, i worked on my other half last night, casually leaving the laptop on the settee on rabbit hutch websites and "just wondering" how wide the shed is, you know, unsubtle stuff like that :lol::lol: and by this morning he seems to have softened to the idea of another bunbun!!!! I think it will involve me cooking his tea and doing the ironing for about 10 years as I had previously agreed to no more than two at a time ;)

I'm seriouslyconsidering taking on George as a garden bun, which will mean getting him something a bit smaller than i would like to live in - there really physically isn't the room for another 6x4 hutch/run combo as there's the decking, then the lawn (which the hutch run takes up most of) then the shed, so nothing moveable.

There's a bit of space along the side of the shed which i could maybe get a double decker hutch on, but considering his current hutch is approx 1 x 2 feet :censored: it's going to feel massive to him anyway isn't it?

I took him a toilet roll stuffed with dried grass this morning and he was having a little nibble on it when i left him, i didn't give him any herbal delight or yoggy drops as don't want to upset his tum. His poos are absolutely tiny :(

I can't afford to get the hutch, vet check and jabs this month unfortunately as it's a birthday month and we're going camping, and my two need both their jabs doing and a hutch hugger getting for their new setup, so thats £130 already so when i see her on monday i'm going to offer her my larger cage as a temporary measure and go from there.

Part of me is unsure about the responsibility of another rabbit but i can't bear to see him like that :?

P.S Lobo - Paddy is gorgeous :love::love: lucky him being rescued :)

Like you say, anything is better than what he's in now, so don't worry if you can't get as big a hutch as you'd like. It's probably good if he can start by going into a larger cage at your friends anyway to get him used to more space, and then when he comes to you he will be able to enjoy yet more space again :)

Well done for persuading your OH!:lol:

Well, i worked on my other half last night, casually leaving the laptop on the settee on rabbit hutch websites and "just wondering" how wide the shed is, you know, unsubtle stuff like that :lol::lol: and by this morning he seems to have softened to the idea of another bunbun!!!! I think it will involve me cooking his tea and doing the ironing for about 10 years as I had previously agreed to no more than two at a time ;)

I'm seriouslyconsidering taking on George as a garden bun, which will mean getting him something a bit smaller than i would like to live in - there really physically isn't the room for another 6x4 hutch/run combo as there's the decking, then the lawn (which the hutch run takes up most of) then the shed, so nothing moveable.

There's a bit of space along the side of the shed which i could maybe get a double decker hutch on, but considering his current hutch is approx 1 x 2 feet :censored: it's going to feel massive to him anyway isn't it?

I took him a toilet roll stuffed with dried grass this morning and he was having a little nibble on it when i left him, i didn't give him any herbal delight or yoggy drops as don't want to upset his tum. His poos are absolutely tiny :(

I can't afford to get the hutch, vet check and jabs this month unfortunately as it's a birthday month and we're going camping, and my two need both their jabs doing and a hutch hugger getting for their new setup, so thats £130 already so when i see her on monday i'm going to offer her my larger cage as a temporary measure and go from there.

Part of me is unsure about the responsibility of another rabbit but i can't bear to see him like that :?

P.S Lobo - Paddy is gorgeous :love::love: lucky him being rescued :)

YAY YAY YAY!! I know you'll figure it out ;) Cant wait to see piccys of that poor lovely boy when hes happily with you :D

I dont mean to come across rude but...... 1 x 2 cage :shock::evil:, you need to just put him in your bigger cage and tell her straight when you see her it was too small so I gave him mine. Thats what I would do anyway! Brilliant if you do take him on! :D

Oh and just a thought, I have my hutch combo on decking so dont know if that would work better with the space you have perhaps!?

Back