• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to look for when doing a homecheck

steph182

Wise Old Thumper
I may be doing an independent homecheck so there is no rescue criteria, so I basically need to know what to look out for :)
I know size of accomidation, care of other animals, talk about feeding/vets/neutering, check about children/adult being responsible...

But what else? :wave:

it depends on if its an indoor or outdoor home but look for suitablility ie owner knowing if plants are bunyn sage(if have access to them ) checking out things like if they havea cat can the rabbit access clumping litter in tray(suggest wood absed?) look at the accomodation they already have and check how they treat other pets, if they do something differently from how you would like talk to them about it as they may be willing to change or have an understnadable reason for doing it... ie " i wont vaccs against vhd".... this could be due to the way vaccine produced (i argue with myself every time and always end up giving it as cant risk my own buns evil as it may seem) so ask questions ask about holiday arrrangements ie who would care for tehm if they would have an emergancy fund for pet care should the need arise, if they have any plans to move and if yes where the pet would go while in transit etc etc etc, do they have relatives who visit regularly with their pets ie um visits adn brings her terrier, hobbies if they applicable (i refused to rehomne to someone who hunted rabbits in the wild and got a lot of flack over this as they did it as pest control yet oved thier pets but it didnt sit right with me so bunny went to a diff home) generally how long bunny will be alone (if single bun) toys and diet, general health issues etc etc. :) generally you can get teh fee of a person and a home and the rest are jsut check boxes! :)

Here's a list that could be a good starting point for you. You could copy & paste it into a word docs and take it along with you :)

Name:

Address:

Tel.:
E Mail:

Do you rent or own your property?
If renting, is your landlord in agreement with you keeping pets?

Name/address of vet:

Do you already own a rabbit/s? Yes / No
If yes an indoor or outside rabbit/s?

Is rabbit/s neutered Yes / No

Is rabbit/s vacs? Yes / No

What is rabbit/s fed?

What arrangements are made/will be made for pets when you go away?

What size/type accommodation is the new rabbit/s to live in?

Secure, weld mesh, anti digging in/out protection, bolts etc?

Any other pets?
If so what type and what precautions taken to keep separate from rabbit/s?

Will you need help with bonding the new rabbit? Yes / No

Do you agree to vacs the new rabbit/s yearly for VHD and 6 monthly for Mxyi ?

Do you see any reason in the next few years as to why you may no longer be able to keep rabbit/s?

Signed:
Print Name:
Date:

Homechecker Sign:
Print name:
Date:

Any other info relevant to potential adoption:

I think the most important question is would you be happy for your buns/whatever to live there? If the answer is no try and work out why?

Back