• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New member and bunny owner

Lynsy

Young Bun
Hi all, Im new to the forum, and relatively new bunny owner!

Ive been a cat rescuer for years, and I also used to keep guinea pigs. About a year ago my horrible neighbour chucked her bunny onto the streets, and I took him in. Hes called Barney and he must be about three years old now. Hes a sweet heart and very friendly.
About six months ago, I had a call from a distressed friend, coz a friend of this friend also had a bunny and was talking about abandoning it on a local park. So I took him in as well. Hes called Paul.

Now he likes his strokes, but does not at all tolerate being picked up. Hes a huge lop rabbit, and very beautiful. Now both bunnies are housed seperately, but they can hear and see each other, and get on fabulously.

The problem is, 2nd bunnies gender is still in question?

and as you can imagine, Ive read some conflicting advice on how to sex a rabbit.

Can anyone help, are there any tell tale signs? (apart from the obvious, which is a bit of a issue to get to)

Plus Barney displays sexual behaviour (such as trying to mount the cats if they get too close) but Paul doesnt display any sexual behaviour at all. Would this be an indication?

Pauls sex doesnt really make any difference, but I would like to know whether hes a Paul or shes a Paula! Any advice would be fab

xxx

Hello :wave: your poor babies, well done for taking them in :love:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?p=2614165#post2614165 this will help you sex them. If they are a boy/girl you could neuter them and bond them :love: as bunnies like to live in pairs

I would definitely have them neutered regardless, as this is why Barney is displaying sexual behaviour - he is a slave to his hormones :roll::lol: Males and females both hump, females can also have false pregnancies. Neutering a male will massively improve his behaviour and quality of life, and an un-neutered female has a massive risk of cancer.

At their age, if they are boys you should be able to see testicles :shock::oops:

I would definately recommend taing them to the vets to be sexed. Apart from anything else, if bunny 2 is a girl she'll need to be spayed or she'll get uterine cancer. If you get them both done you'll be able to bond them together (works best with one boy, one girl, but give it a try anyway!) as buns are happier in pairs or groups.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum! :D

Well Im on good terms with my vet (I keep him in business with all my pets! lol) so I think Ill take them both along and get his advice.

Housing them together would be nice, coz they do interact lovely together via the chicken wire that seperates them!

I just hope Paul behaves himself at the vets, my poor vet has had a good few bites and scratches over the years, Im sure he wouldnt like to add a good kick from a rabbit to the list!

Thanks x

Back