• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help - any idea what this could be?

natalie84

Warren Scout
Since last night my mini lop Alfie has been acting very off colour. Wanting to sit/lie down, not eating, not drinking, hiding away when i go to see him which is very unlike him. I am taking him to the vets today but has anyone got any idea what could be wrong? I am so worried. :(

Since last night my mini lop Alfie has been acting very off colour. Wanting to sit/lie down, not eating, not drinking, hiding away when i go to see him which is very unlike him. I am taking him to the vets today but has anyone got any idea what could be wrong? I am so worried. :(

Prob GI stasis or bloat (Im not sure what the difference is,can't remember), when hes lying down is he streching out alot?

It sounds like Alfie may have stasis,this can be due to a number of reasons.A lot of buns stop eating if they have dental issues.He really needs to see a vet as soon as possible.Good luck

Yes he is stretching out alot when he lies down :(

Poor boy, what time does your vet open? Probably best to ring them and let them know you'll be there asap - because he does need to see a vet soon. But the vet can fix stasis, my boy Nunzeo gets it sometimes, I think hesteeth are bad today though so I will be waiting on the vets doorstoop too.

Vets open at 8.15 so will be phoning straight away. Just noticed he hasn't left any droppings over night either

Vets open at 8.15 so will be phoning straight away. Just noticed he hasn't left any droppings over night either

Yeah they don't do poos with stasis, or if they do they will be tiny black poos. Its basically where the gut stops working, and buns need their tums to be working constantly, which is why its important they always have fresh hay.

Has your bun had anything to drink? If not try offering some luke warm water fromthe kettle in a bowl, chances are he wont want it, but its more likely he'll have some warm water in a bowl, rather than cold froma bottle - if thats what youuse.

Well, just been to vets. He said very likely stasis, felt his tummy and was very gassy and squelchy. Checked his teeth and no probs there. He gave Alfie metacam injection and metoclopramide. Also gave me a critical care sachet of food and protexin to mix with his water. I have just given him some of the food and water by syringe as the vet told me to and he actually seems a bit perkier already. Taking him back to vets on Friday so they can see how he's getting on. Fingers crossed he is on the mend!

Try to get him to be up and about and maybe chase him a little bit to get his guts working - tempt him with his favourite treats - stasis is a killer and you spotted it quickly well done!

Oh dear, I'm sorry. Loads of bunnies have bouts of stasis, so you're not alone. Can I just say WELL DONE for taking him to the vet! :thumb:

Back