• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please Help! Few Drops Of Diarrhea?

moss

Alpha Buck
Hello,

My lovely girl, Bunny, seems to have a few drops of what looks like diarrhea on the newspaper in her cage. There's hardly any of it, just a few drops - she had this at the weekend too - I gave her half of a strawberry and I first noticed it as there were a few drops on the carpet - I put her back in her cage and she did a few drops more, then I kept checking on her throughout the night and she didn't do anymore. I guessed that maybe her tum hadn't agreed with the strawberry.

This evening, she has just had a raisin, along with her hay as she normally would, and there are a few drops again - she has done plenty of normal looking poos (which I have just broken open to check if they're OK :oops::oops: but they seem fine...)

I will be ringing the vets first thing in the morning - she is currently fine in herself but I will be monitoring her overnight.

Anyone experienced this before? I've done a search on here but I kind of get from the posts that it was gushing out of the buns affected....

How old is Bunny? It is unlikely that such a small amount of fruit would cause this response and so quickly in the time frame you describe. Is what you see actually water, watery diarrhoea (as this is how true diarrhoea appears) or is it sticky poo? What colour are the drops? :wave:

Is she eating and pooping normally now?

Hello,

Thank you for your reply :)

Bunny is about 18 months old. It's definitely watery diarrhea - as I mopped it up using some kitchen roll - it's a dark brown colour. I have now cleaned her out again so I can see if she's done any more, but she hasn't done any more since I posted the first message. She's eating fine and had pooed fine after I cleaned her litter tray out tonight and before I noticed the diarrhea. She's done some more poo since cleaning her paper out again and they're all normal...

Could she be dribbing wee? Have you smelt it? Does it smell like wee or poop? Bunny urine can be a dark brown colour and she could be dribbling this or have a small amount dribble after taking a pee?
She sounds ok for you to keep an eye on her tonight but I would pop her along to the vet tomorrow morning as planned. Any changes tonight or loss of appetite she must see a vet tonight. x

I did try and smell it, but couldn't smell anything at all. I guess it could be wee, if wee can be dark, though I use wood pellets in her litter tray so I wouldn't know what colour her wee is normally. Just checked her paper again and there's been no more - very strange.

Hi, if any of my bunnies get funny tummy's i cut out the fruit and veg for a couple of days encourage lots of hay and moniter the dry food, hope this helps

Hi, if any of my bunnies get funny tummy's i cut out the fruit and veg for a couple of days encourage lots of hay and moniter the dry food, hope this helps

Hiya, when you say yours get funny tums, do you mean little tiny bits like what I've described?

My Bunny shouldn't be getting a funny tummy really - I thought she may have when I gave her the strawberry at the weekend, because she hadn't had one for about a year, which is why I didn't panic, just thought it didn't agree with her. But tonight she's had her normal small amount of veg, plenty of hay and her small amount of pellets as she has been having for the year or so that we've had her. Hope she's OK, poor little thing :(

Rang the vets this morning, they said to keep an eye on her and to bring her in if it happens again. She hadn't done any more this morning and still seemed perfectly fine.

Hiya, just read this thread :wave: Is very strange!
Id do as the vet says and keep a close eye on her and take her in immediately if it happens again. Also if it does happen again try and take a sample of it in with you, which will be useful for them to test if its urine.
Maybe avoid fruit and veggies for a few days aswell. Good luck and let us know how shes doing xxxx

Hiya, just read this thread :wave: Is very strange!
Id do as the vet says and keep a close eye on her and take her in immediately if it happens again. Also if it does happen again try and take a sample of it in with you, which will be useful for them to test if its urine.
Maybe avoid fruit and veggies for a few days aswell. Good luck and let us know how shes doing xxxx

Hiya :)

Will definitely take her in if it happens again, though it may be difficult to get a sample - I'd have to get it into a syringe or something before she stands on it and smudges it into the paper!

Will keep you posted - my other girl seems fine - she's normally the one who doesn't take well to a change in diet! x

Hiya :)

Will definitely take her in if it happens again, though it may be difficult to get a sample - I'd have to get it into a syringe or something before she stands on it and smudges it into the paper!

Will keep you posted - my other girl seems fine - she's normally the one who doesn't take well to a change in diet! x

Surely if it was watery it would be immediately absorbed by the paper? Are you sure it's not just a very soft runny poop rather than actual watery diarrhoea? In which case I would suggest it is a malformed caecotroph from caecal dysbiosis so therefore increasing hay and leaving off all greens for a few days should really help. :)

Surely if it was watery it would be immediately absorbed by the paper? Are you sure it's not just a very soft runny poop rather than actual watery diarrhoea? In which case I would suggest it is a malformed caecotroph from caecal dysbiosis so therefore increasing hay and leaving off all greens for a few days should really help. :)

It was almost like blood consistency - like a little droplet on the paper. I had enough time to go and get some kitchen roll to mop it up. It wasn't blood though, it was definitely brown. Could well be a malformed caecotroph, though she eats plenty of hay, she certainly eats loads more than my other girlie anyway.

I'll see how it goes I guess :)

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Back