• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

in desperate need of more hutch space...

clarence is in need of a wifey and since his hutch is too small to house 2 rabbits comfortably i really dont know what to do.

My new bun will be a little girl for sure, then ill have 2 of each sex which will also satisfy my weird obsession with even numbers :lol:

But seriously, its a big issue, i have the bun all picked out but ive only reecently invested in a new set up for my other 2 buns; Marley and Baby. I just dont know what to do i cant let this bun go, shes the prettyest thing ive seen in my life, i gasped when i saw her.

Wishful thinking, but does anyone have an old hutch they can donate?? :lol: joking. I guess shes just not meant to be :cry:

How big is the current hutch? :) xXx

Unfortunately the current hutch is only 3ft x 2ft and is double tier. So nowhere near large enough to house 2 buns, i dont really like seeing clarence in there, but hes never in there if someones around to keep a beady eye on him.

My other 2 dwarfs have a new 5ft x 2ft double tier and theyve spent the last couple of weeks racing round it and binkying till theres no binky left in them. They are my first bonded pair :)

I have a spare hutch and that is 4ftx1ft, it was from a pet shop 3 years ago when i didnt know better :oops:. It housed my guinea pigs untill i salvaged their new hutch which is now 4x2.

I just dont know what to do, i cant get anymore hours at work because of college. Ill be gutted if i have to let this little sweetie go :(

Eeek!!! Sorry but that is a really tiny hutch even for 1 bunny. Please try to get a much bigger one as soon as possible. I dont want to upset you but it really is too small

Unfortunately the current hutch is only 3ft x 2ft and is double tier. So nowhere near large enough to house 2 buns, i dont really like seeing clarence in there, but hes never in there if someones around to keep a beady eye on him.
QUOTE]

Im hoping to get a largeer set up for them all to live together, im not going to spend the money though if the bonding doesnt go to plan. If it doesnt go so well then, im hoping to get another large hutch for Clarence and a wifey.

Also, like i said before im aware the hutch is too small, but its not my fault that my :censored: father irresponsibly brought home a lionlop 2 weeks ago because "he liked the look of it" when he's never showed any interest in my other 2 buns. :(

Also, like i said before im aware the hutch is too small, but its not my fault that my :censored: father irresponsibly brought home a lionlop 2 weeks ago because "he liked the look of it" when he's never showed any interest in my other 2 buns. :(

Does he have a shed you can commander? Tell him it's for his rabbit. ;)

Does he have a shed you can commander? Tell him it's for his rabbit. ;)

We have a lovely 6x8 hutch i could commandeer but its full of his **** and i cant even get in there to get to my hay/toys/run etc. That shed is the route of many of our arguments! :lol: But seriously, I really dont know what to do for the best. I was happy with my 2 little nethies and then he brought Clarence home, which has totally upset the ranks. Marley and Clarence can smell eachother and Marley keeps herding Baby around the hutch to get her away. Clarence needs neutering which i cant afford because ive just put the money away for Baby (aka Dolly) to be spayed when shes old enough.

It not fair on Clarence and if i had the money id go out and get everything he needed but i dont. I told dad i dont have the money/space to keep anymore rabbits at the moment. Im so angry with him and feel terrible for poor clarence...who is sat with me waiting for your reply hehe :)

Eeek!!! Sorry but that is a really tiny hutch even for 1 bunny. Please try to get a much bigger one as soon as possible. I dont want to upset you but it really is too small

Im also aware that Clarence's current accomodation is too small; note the title: "in desperate need of more hutch space"

I'm wondering if Bungle Bunny saw that the three foot hutch is double tier.

Shame your Dad isn't taking responsibility for Clarence. Have you spoke to him about contributing to the costs at all?

Hey, let's not all start jumping down rampant rabbits throat, she knows the hutch isn't big enough that's why she's come on here saying she needs a bigger one and doesn't even like seeing Clarence in there let alone 2 buns.

i think if people always get attacked when they admit they've got an undersized hutch either cos they didn't know any better when they bought it, or they are a child/young person and therefore have to make do with what their parents have provided then it's going to put people off asking for help.

Rampantrabbit - my twopenneth is: much as the girlie rabbit you've seen is adorable, there are unfortunately a limitless supply of gorgeous unwanted buns sitting in rescues waiting for a loving home, so what I would do is try and improve the accommodation you've got for Clarence first, it might mean saving up for a while but it will be worth it in the end, and you can always sell the existing hutch advertising it for Guinea Pigs to recoup some of the money, then once Clarence is sorted with a nice new house you could think about looking for a wifeybun for him ;)

Is your dad any good at DIY? As you have said the hutch is to small, but it is the overall space a bun has permanent access to that is really important, any chance your dad could built a large run you could attach permanently? If you made it 6ftx3ft and made sure it was secure enough to leave him in overnight it would made a huge amount of difference and buying materials to built a run would be much cheaper than buying a large hutch?

Can your dad not join the 2 hutches together? That would make a hutch 7ft long and although it would just be a little thin in one part it would so much better than just the one hutch. With a run attached it would make your bunny a lot more space.

Another idea but not sure how practical it is or if you have the space: look out for a decent second hand hutch that you could join onto the one you have i.e. cut a hole in the ends and butt them up to one another?

I think it's great that you're asking for help with this - good for you hun. Please give Clarence an extra nose rub :)

Thanks everyone, i was worried that i wouldnt get any replies or be lectured about keeping buns in smaller hutches.

Just to point out AGAIN, to those of you who have had a dig at me; I have paid for everything for my own 2 buns, they dont go short of anything including a large hutch, plenty of free range time, a good diet, regular vaccinations and flea flea treatment and a vet as and when they need one.

My dad is totally useless at DIY, it was a chore for him helping me spruce up the guinea pig hutch. I cant even get him to build me a run!

I have thought about joining the 2 together, but they are completely different types of hutches and the scabby one isnt really suitable for rabbits. Its only good for firewood now i would think!

I have put forward the idea of converting the shed but he wants it for all his junk. I have always put forward the idea of buying my own shed, again it was a no. I could try and save up for a childs summer house i suppose, and explain that i can fit all of their odds and sods in there too, so it wouldnt be taking up room is his precious shed.

Today i was in a battle with my dad explaining that Clarence needs to be neutered asap and if he wants i can make an appointment on my way to college. He said he hasnt got the money at the minute, but i said id told him when he brought Clarence home that he will need to be neutered asap and that i cant afford to pay for it this time.

The more i think about it, its becoming aparent that the lack of space isnt the only issue, its coming down to the basic welfare of the rabbit. I cant believe he would be this irresponsible, it's like something my brother would have done!

I think the most important thing is to get Clarence neutered, then try and bond the 3 buns (ill ask for more help when it comes to it, i have no idea if ill be able to bond 2 males and a female).

If i am able to bond the 2 then ill hopefully be able save up and invest in a larger set up, maybe a playhouse or have a custom made hutch & run. If it doesnt go to plan, then a larger hutch, similar to what the other 2 have and another rescue bun for company.

This will take months, what can i do to make dad realise how important it is? He just thinks im obsessed with rabbits! It really isnt fair on Clarence, he's a lovely bun and i cant put him into rescue becaue that just adds to the ongoing problem of unwanted pets being given up willy nilly.

My mum agrees with me, but shes got a number of problems of her own for now.

It sounds like a sob story! My parents aren't horrbile at all, my dad just doesnt think about things sometmes.

Awhh, I'm sorry to hear you're having problems. :( I noticed you said you have a run in the shed - can you get that out and adapt it a bit to be fitted to one of the hutches? That'd be a good temporary fix. Even if the run's a bit small, the added space will be a benefit. :)

I have to admit, I think I'd be saving up to sort out bigger accomodation before I saved up to neuter Clarence. If you get him neutered and bonded before they have a bigger home, where will you put all three?

Best of luck with everything and I hope it'll all fall into place for you soon. :):wave:

Awhh, I'm sorry to hear you're having problems. :( I noticed you said you have a run in the shed - can you get that out and adapt it a bit to be fitted to one of the hutches? That'd be a good temporary fix. Even if the run's a bit small, the added space will be a benefit. :)

I have to admit, I think I'd be saving up to sort out bigger accomodation before I saved up to neuter Clarence. If you get him neutered and bonded before they have a bigger home, where will you put all three?

Best of luck with everything and I hope it'll all fall into place for you soon. :):wave:

First of all, thanks fluffers. Ill show them to my dad tonight when hes in a good mood :lol: if you havent noticed already hes one for getting irate rather quickly :lol: MEN!! ;)

The run i have is apex and knocked together with some timber so im not sure how i could adapt it :? You have a point there. Ill keep you updated anyway and let you know how i get on :) keep your eyes peeled :) x

First of all, thanks fluffers. Ill show them to my dad tonight when hes in a good mood :lol: if you havent noticed already hes one for getting irate rather quickly :lol: MEN!! ;)

The run i have is apex and knocked together with some timber so im not sure how i could adapt it :? You have a point there. Ill keep you updated anyway and let you know how i get on :) keep your eyes peeled :) x

You could be sneakily casual about it and leave the leaflet loaded up on the pc screen when you know he's about and then walk away and see if he notices it :roll::shock: Then if he says anything just say "oh yeah I was reading about that earlier, really interesting". Then leave it at that and let the info absorb into brain :lol: Men like to think they've thought of things all by themselves so I'd opt for the softly softly approach and see how it goes.... ;)

Back