• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Streptacare

Snowy

Wise Old Thumper
Has anyone had a bunny who has been prescribed Streptacare?

What was it for and what were there any side effects please?

Hi there, I have prescribed daily Streptacare injections for a number of buns, all were dental abscess cases. It is a mixture of penicillin and streptamycin and possible side effects are as per any injectable penicillin i.e possible diarrhoea/ gastrointestinal upset. However, I haven't seen any side effects as yet (touch wood!). It is Francis Harcourt Browns antibiotic of choice for abscesses so if its good enough for her its good enough for me! :)

OOOOoo Dr Bunster are you a vet? :D just wondered as you say 'you've prescribed :D
Welcome to RU by the way :wave:

Tulip has this by sub-q every morning:wave:

I have not noticed any side effects, but I only had her for a week when we started using it, so I didn't know her behavior well before.

Hopefully the only side effect she will get is to kill the nasty bacteria:)

She has severe pneumonia, check up tonight to see if there is any improvement, but it is going to be a very long course by the looks of it:(

Good luck with the bun:)

My bunny has just been diagosed with a jaw abscess that's affecting the bone. He has been put on streptacare which I have injected for the first time today. We'll see how it goes.

I had two bunnies with middle ear abscesses that were on depocillin, but I haven never used streptacare before.

Vera

Just a little update:

Tommy recovered well from his dental abscess which is a small miracle as my vet wasn't hopeful at all. I can still feel a small lump, but it doesn't bother him anymore and he has been problem free for many months now.

I have however another bunny on streptacare now. He has an eye abscess which looked very nasty. He has been on streptacare since Monday and touch wood, the eye looks so much better and the abscess seems to have shrunk considerably, there is no more pus either - this is much quicker than expected. I am struggling to keep Magic eating, but he is eating enough at the moment to keep his guts going ok. He is also on metacam, eye drops and I am giving him Fibreplex.

Vera

Glad they are both responding to it, will keep the abx in mind (hopefully i wont need it tho')

Magic's eye has much improved (almost back to normal) and he is also eating quite well again. I am sure my vet will be quite pleased when he sees Magic tomorrow. Streptacare has worked very well - yet again.

Vera

I have been using it for a variety of things and I am really impressed with it, it works for all sorts of things and it's cheap too

Back