• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how far can rabbits see?

paulinejoe

Mama Doe
How far can rabbits see? I'm just curious cos mine have recently gone to live in the garden and are about 6 feet from the kitchen door and window and when they're down in their run i was just wondering if they could see their mad bunny mummy waving at them through the window or not? :oops::lol:

mine can see me at the computer across the room (fifteen feet?) and seem to know if i am looking at them...but they might just be aware of movement as i turn my head...

They can see movement a long way away - mine can see when I am at the bedroom window and they are about 50 ft away.

On the otherhand they bump into me when they are close up!

Its a prey thing! No use seeing a predator once its next to you - have t see it when its the other side of the field

Oh good :) I thought Jess was looking at me last night but wasn't sure. I shall carry on waving at them then :lol: I'm sure my neighbours think i'm nuts, i came in through the back gate the other day, not realising they were sat out in the garden, and was nattering away to the buns going "hows my babybunnikins then do you want some veggie-weggies?" etc etc then looked up and saw them lol.

We have dwarf Netherland rabbits. To me, their eyesight seems absolutely terrible! If I throw a treat right to them it seems to take them ages to find it.

They just don't seem to see small things close up, so the predator explanation that Parsnipbun gives would make sense. They maybe use touch and smell close-up and vision for things far away.

Hahahaha, I do things like that too ......... I sit on the floor in the run with them so can't tell when the neighbours are in or out of their garden ....I talk absolute rubbish to my two - they must think I'm mad! lol

Hahahaha, I do things like that too ......... I sit on the floor in the run with them so can't tell when the neighbours are in or out of their garden ....I talk absolute rubbish to my two - they must think I'm mad! lol

Glad to know i'm not alone :lol::wave:

Not sure about their eyesight but Mr F can hear the fridge door open from the opposite corner of the house through 3 walls :lol:.

To think we thought he was deaf cos he likes to jump on the hoover :lol:.

Not sure about their eyesight but Mr F can hear the fridge door open from the opposite corner of the house through 3 walls :lol:.

To think we thought he was deaf cos he likes to jump on the hoover :lol:.

Lol. Same here i used to think Joejoe was deaf but he can hear a curly kale or yoghurt drop packet rustle from miles away :lol:

I agree with Parsnipbun.
Buns have a massive field of vision, but it is mostly in 2D, & detects movement. So yes, your bun will see you waving.

They cannot see what they are eating. Whiskers, smell, & very sensitive lips & mouths, + 26 different types of tastebud help them to select their food.

Their main senses are hearing & smell. So we live in the same world but percieve it totally differently.

I'm fascinated that I've seen my bun asleep & obviously dreaming innumerable times. He has only had rapid eye movement of a visual dream once in 5 years.

I always thought a bunnies field of vision stretched all the way round behind them but they can't see directly what's infront of them?! I'm not sure if that's right or not!

ETA - Just found this - http://www.threelittleladiesrabbitry.com/rabbitvision.php - Which I found quite interesting, although it's about the field of vision rather than the distance they can see. I guess they must be able to see a real long way though or they'd never get away from predators on the wild.

I found this particulary interesting -

"The ability to see in all directions like this has two weaknesses for the rabbit. First there is a small blind spot of about 10 degrees directly in front of the rabbit’s nose and just under his chin. This is why treats placed directly in front of a rabbit can take some time to find. The other problem is with 3d vision also known as depth perception. The vision from our eyes overlap giving us a sense of how far away items are. Because of the placement of the rabbits eyes, only about 30 degrees of their entire field of vision overlaps, and 10 degrees of that is a blind spot. The result is very little three dimensional viewing for the rabbit. Rabbits will use parallax to assist in determining distance of an object. Similar to what birds do they will bob there head up and down when looking at a distant object. The further the object the less it moves."

I guess that's why they periscope. :)

Last edited:
Louie has no sight at all from what the vet can tell, but his hearing and other senses are greatly heightened and he startles from things that we can't even hear!

Back