• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bald patch on thigh

paulinejoe

Mama Doe
I've noticed a bit of Jessykins fur on the grass in their run the last couple of days and assumed it was just from her moulting, which she has been lately, but last night i got in from work and she's got a big bald patch on her back thigh :shock: The skin looks white and not inflamed. I thought it was maybe Joejoe doing it but this morning she had a big clump of fur hanging out of her mouth so i think she's pulling it out herself.

She's about 6 months old and unspeyed (getting done in the autumn).

Any ideas what may be the matter?

Thanks, Pauline :wave:

If she is pulling the hair out and eating it, it might be indicative of a nutritional imbalance. There is a belief amongst some that "self-barbering" could be due to a shortage of magnesium in the diet. I had a bun who would do it from time to time but we never got to the bottom of the problem.

If she is not eating it she might be planning nest-building, but I think normally they pull from the chest and dewlap.

Thanks Lobo, that's interesting. They get a handful of excel nuggets on a morning, some veg when i get in from work, unlimited hay at all times and they have 24/7 access to fresh grass to. they also get a bedtime yoghurt drop and occasional other natural type treats like aromatic crunchies and naturals herbal mix, so I thought they were getting a pretty decent diet :? Liek you say though it might be something we never get to the bottom of.

We're off to the vets next week for jabs so will show her, she just looks awful with this big patch of bare leg :oops:

Hmmm... I think it is nest building..When I got in tonight and opened the bedroom bit of their hutch it is absolutely piled high with fur in one corner and all down one side and I also saw her gathering up huge mouthfuls of hay and taking it in the bedroom. :? i'm surprised she's got any fur left tbh theres that much of it, she must be pulling it out of her tummy too i'm guessing but she won't let you pick her up so i can't tell.

I think the spay is going to have to be sooner rather than later, either that or the vets have got some explaining to do as Joe's had his bits off lol :lol:

Back