• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is hay different this time of year/do buns get hay fever???

Gemmapookie

Wise Old Thumper
My buns are on the exact same organic meadow hay as always, from the exact same place. But Ive noticed them sneezing quite alot when they're eating it. they do tend to bury their heads right into the hay :roll: but i was just wondering what you all think to this?
Theyre very well in themselves and dont seem to sneeze at any other time :?

Last edited:
At our supplier, a horse feeds place, the bales which we have got recently are the last of last years cut so they have been sitting around for quite a while now and I have the same thing with some of the bales. A bit more dusty than others. It can be becuase of where on the hay stack it was stored - those on the outside being more prone to dust in the air etc, but also some bales can have been cut from the edges of the field and in my experience the hay is sometimes a bit dustier and the hay shorter as it doen't seem to grow quite as well there.

Sure there could be other reasons too.

I wondered if the buns are affected as badly as we humans are by tree pollen.

Thanks Duchess :wave:

Thats what Ive been wondering too as Ive been sneezing myself more than usual aswell. Can buns suffer from hay fever or similar?? :?

i dont know if buns can get hay fever but my friends Guineapig has hay fever :?
So i think if guineapigs can have hayfever then why not bunnies? :?

Can buns suffer from hay fever or similar??

I think its one of those questions no one really knows the answer to. A previous vet told me they could and diagnosed Bluebell with it. This year he's been to my new vet as he's been suffering more than usual and he was very skeptical. But after several visits he too thinks it may be the answer to Bluebells probs as there doesn't seem to be an alternative.

That's interesting - both my buns have been sneezing a bit recently too - with no other symptoms.

Thats comforting to know, I was starting to get worried. I thought about taking them to the vets but I dont want to seem like hypochondriac bunny mum for taking them in coz of a few sneezes! Their eyes are clean and bright, literally the only thing they have going on is the sneezing :?

I have to change Oggie and Dellys hay around this time of year as Oggie always starts sneezing so I go through different types to find one which doesnt make him sneeze :lol:

I have to change Oggie and Dellys hay around this time of year as Oggie always starts sneezing so I go through different types to find one which doesnt make him sneeze :lol:

Another sneezy bun...phew! Thought it was just my little monsters trying (again) to give me a stomach ulcer :roll:

Back