• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Unfair assumption

louise.storrar

Warren Scout
I recently came across a local pet store who offer rescue buns up for adoption. I was keen to read up on their rehoming specifications and was impressed at first but then read this:

We have also had incidents of people wanting the smallest possible cage for their guinea pigs, because they do not have room for a bigger cage, or insisting that they want to keep guinea pigs or rabbits outdoors. It is cruel to keep any animal in a cage that is too small for it, or outside where they will be exposed to bad weather and predators – would you even force your cat or dog to live outside all the time? Rabbits and guinea pigs are smaller and far more delicate! The bottom line is, if you do not have space for an adequate cage indoors then you should not get a pet.

My buns are outdoor buns and they are very safe and happy in large enclosures. I'm upset that they think this is cruel! :cry:

I recently came across a local pet store who offer rescue buns up for adoption. I was keen to read up on their rehoming specifications and was impressed at first but then read this:

We have also had incidents of people wanting the smallest possible cage for their guinea pigs, because they do not have room for a bigger cage, or insisting that they want to keep guinea pigs or rabbits outdoors. It is cruel to keep any animal in a cage that is too small for it, or outside where they will be exposed to bad weather and predators – would you even force your cat or dog to live outside all the time? Rabbits and guinea pigs are smaller and far more delicate! The bottom line is, if you do not have space for an adequate cage indoors then you should not get a pet.

My buns are outdoor buns and they are very safe and happy in large enclosures. I'm upset that they think this is cruel! :cry:

Indoor buns are great and I wish mine could be indoor, but truth is, for my buns it would be cruel to keep them inside all day!! They def. love the great outdoors - rain, show, frost, you name it they love it!!! Go and put that petshop straight!!:D

I know! Mine are the same. I like to bring them indoors to free range now and again but they have plenty shelter and space outside in their hutches and runs. James particularly loves the wind, he deliberately stands out in the wind lol Hmph. <<< still offended lol

What a strange and flawed idea :? If an animal is provided with permanent access to warm, dry shelter, then surely it's no different to keeping it indoors.

I suppose you could argue that being in an enclosed shed is indoors, or you should always have the facility to take them indoors during really bad weather ( like the winter we had up here) but rabbits especially are fairly hardy, as far a cold goes.:?

People were having a massive argument about indoor/outdoor on another thread. I can see where they are coming from, but the argument of most books I've seen promoting indoor living is 'out of sight, out of mind', surely that only works on children.... and then they go on to say children shouldn't have rabbits as pets... it's all a bit flawed. If your bun is healthy and happy surely it doesn't matter. My yard is really sheltered and small, in fact it's almost like another room of the house, and everyone has different gardens/yards.

Yeah, I have indoor cages in case of bad weather and/or illnesses (heaven forbid) and we also have a huge shed. Even if I wanted to I could only bring one set of bunnies indoors anyway as they refuse to bond as a trio. THEN I'd feel like I was favouring either the pair or my singleton.

They get plenty affection all year round so I don't feel guilty in that respect but I'd hate to think someone thought I was cruel for having outdoor buns!

Very odd. I would consider that my outdoor rabbits are cared for fantastically! They have masses of space, 8ft hutch and can dig and mess up the garden. Would never deprive them of that.

Mine live in outdoor hutches. :) Shame on meeee.

Seems misguided to me. Or based on sweeping generalisations as mentioned where outdoor rabbits are automatically assumed to be often forgotten. Mine couldn't be closer to the house and wouldn't tolerate being ignored or forgotten for a moment! And one of mine absolutely hates coming indoors at all, so he's be in trouble if he had to live indoors.

its only the same as people having the view indoors is unnatural and cruel for the poor little bunny rabbit whose wild at heart and should be running free in a little run :lol::lol:

people will always have different opinions dont mean they are right, just think they are ;)

:wave:I wouldn't take it personally, seriously, who cares what they think? You know that your bunnies are happy and healthy and well-taken care of. Unfortunately, that is not the case for all bunnies, and I can understand why they would have written that...to avoid the "forgotten bunny" syndrome. It is sad, but most rabbit owners are not nearly as dedicated as those of us on RU:( and if the note discourages someone from adopting a rabbit and sticking it in a little hutch at the end of the garden, I for one am happy.

:wave:I wouldn't take it personally, seriously, who cares what they think? You know that your bunnies are happy and healthy and well-taken care of. Unfortunately, that is not the case for all bunnies, and I can understand why they would have written that...to avoid the "forgotten bunny" syndrome. It is sad, but most rabbit owners are not nearly as dedicated as those of us on RU:( and if the note discourages someone from adopting a rabbit and sticking it in a little hutch at the end of the garden, I for one am happy.

Yeh I totally agree.
We all on here know that buns can be equally happy indoors or outdoors aslong as they get lots of attention,TLC and loads of space.
But unfortunately there are those idiots out there who would just buy a bun and stick it in a huth at the end of the garden and forget about it unless they fancy giving it a fuss :roll::evil:

its only the same as people having the view indoors is unnatural and cruel for the poor little bunny rabbit whose wild at heart and should be running free in a little run :lol::lol:

people will always have different opinions dont mean they are right, just think they are ;)

Spot on :thumb:

It proper annoys me when people present their opinions as indisputable facts though....however strongly you beleive something, it's still only an opinion.

It's good to discourage people from getting outdoor rabbits and then "forgetting" about them, but then it could equally discourage responsible people who would have provided great outdoor homes for their potential rabbits. *le sigh*

I'm not suprised to see a note like that (particularly if from a rescue) but I am surprised to see that it was at a petstore!!

Most rescues around here won't rehome to outdoor homes. Or if it is going to be an outdoor home there are fairly strict regulations (has to meet the standards that they deem appropriate). For guinea pigs this usually involves a home underneath the patio with access to indoors on hot/cold days. Cage has to meet size requirements and can not have wire flooring.

i think this shop is pretty misguided thinking house bunnies are better treated tho. both can suffer from forgotten bunny syndrome and those tiny cages they sell for house rabbits are as much as a prison as a tiny hutch in a garden if the bunny never gets out time..:cry::cry::cry:

maybe they shouldn't sell any if they are so worried :shock:

Yes that is why I was surprised the notice was at a petstore - both their outdoor and indoor cages are usually wayy too small!! Plus their food quality is usually rubbish and they sell all of the nasty treats that are not often appropriate, let alone the fact that they sell animals. :lol: It is pretty hypocritical coming from them - but from a rescue it is a different story.

Back