• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Uh-oh, Thistle's going bald!

georgie_f

Mama Doe
I just scooped Thistle up to sort out his moulty fur and get rid of her 'hovercraft skirt' and he's now got a big bald spot on his butt. :shock:

I'm not sure if it was me pulling too hard with the comb or if he's just having a really bad moult or of it's mites or something. His skin looks very dry and a bit flakey but I couldn't see anything moving in his fur. :? I was worried Brian had given him a bald spot a few days ago but now I'm wondering if T's fur just fell out in Brian's mouth.

Any suggestions?!

my Simba is the same since yesterday.. his fur just kept coming out and now he needs a comb over to hide his bare butt!! I blame the bag of hay i just bought which probably had mites in it or something..

His skin looks very dry and a bit flakey but I couldn't see anything moving in his fur.

You can't see mites - they are invisible to the human eye. It's lice and fleas you can see. There is a theory (which I agree with) that all animals carry mites but in times of stress they overwhelm the animal and become a problem so possibly worth treating with some spot-on just in case.

Oh :oops: I thought I'd be able to see mites! :roll::lol: I guess he has probably been a bit stressed lately as I've introduced Brian into his territory.

Is Spot on effective? I'm happy to take him to the vets and get something stronger if need be, but if I can avoid the vets with him, I will do - as he's a giant I worry about the stress of vet trips on his heart. :shock:

If simba's doesnt clear up he will be going to the vets for an injection.. i think they usually do 3, each one is about 2 weeks apart and its always cleared them up. Cos of his long fur i dont like using spot on and is makes his fur wet and matts and i worry he will lick it... also when i use Xeno (cant remember the number) he was fine the first time but when i used it again about 6 months later he got a red sore area where id put it so dont want it anymore

Oh :oops: I thought I'd be able to see mites! :roll::lol: I guess he has probably been a bit stressed lately as I've introduced Brian into his territory.

Is Spot on effective? I'm happy to take him to the vets and get something stronger if need be, but if I can avoid the vets with him, I will do - as he's a giant I worry about the stress of vet trips on his heart. :shock:

Aw don't worry - we learn something new every day right?! :p

The Beaphar Spot-on contains ivermectin which is the effective ingredient - this is the same as the stuff vets use. It was prescription only until relatively recently as it's fairly potent so yes it works. I've used the rat and small animal version in the past and they worked fine. :)

awww bless

Princess has a tiny bald spot on her leg and Im wondering if shes moulting or she has mange again, but hers isnt dry or anything but was when she had mange (thanks pet shop :roll: )

I didn't know bunnies could get mange. Is that caused by parasites or is it a skin condition?

I think I'll try the Spot On stuff and if that doesn't work I'll take him to the vet. I'm assuming I'll need to treat Brian and Jess too as they're all living together but does anyone know if I need to treat the other buns? They don't have direct contact with Thistle but they do occasionally sniff through their wire. Can mites be transfered by me on my clothes?

I'm a bit worried it could be something they've picked up from the wildie bun in the garden now. :shock:

we got like this spot on stuff and popped it on, then within 2 wks she was fine and has been since :) so yep pretty easy

That sounds relitively easy to deal with then. :) Just wanted to check in case it turns out that's what Thistle has! I shouldn't think it would be but I like to go to my vet armed with suggestions and RU advice as they're useless with bunnies. :roll:

Back