• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advice pls re Eric's vet appt

poppymoon

Wise Old Thumper
Following Eric's emergency dental on Saturday, he has a post op check tomorrow at the vets.
As you may know, Eric is a bit of a stress head and doesn't travel well. With time he's getting over his overnight stay in an unmanned clinic and doesd't appear to be licking his broken claw so much now. I have left his other paw alone to save more stress.

So, would you take him back tomorrow? He is more or less eating normally,-pellets, vegetables and plenty of hay. He's not hiding away so much and his poop's are growing in size and not so hard.

NOt sure I should stress him by the check up visit as he's doing well. Thoughts please.

hmm thats a difficult one mate, if he's eating and pooping I would be inclined to say no but then I don't have a medical degree.....

Have you scouted round for another vets yet? hopefully you could find a better one that can also give could phone consultations x

Normally I would say go, but after the way they treated you last time I wouldn't take him down. Hope you can find a better vet x

the rotten thing is tho, esme is due in for her check tomorrow and no doubt a dental (no signs or symptoms from her either but she's one tough cookie and i'm not aware of any dentals she had before she came to me).

esme's appt is with the vet i like and trust but after she has been sorted, i have found 2 alternatives that are possibles, i need to call them back for further info (i asked rather a lot of questions:oops:).

i know i ought to take eric but they'll ask me if he's eating, if he's wee'd and poop'd and have a look to see if his tongue has healed. so, although i know nowhere near what a qualified vet knows, i DO know eric and although he's not eating quite as much, he's getting there and not picking out any type of food.

do i follow the 'what should be done' or what i feel is best for eric?

I'm not qualified either.
Eric can go into stasis just with the travel. He's not able to be bonded to Esme - & goodness have you tried!!!

He's eating better already which is fast progress.
In your situation I would telephone 1st. thing & explain why I am NOT taking him back tomorrow morning.
If I couldn't speak to the vet, I'd explain to the one I trusted when I took Esme.
[Reasoning - Eric's mouth must be less painful because he's managing hay. Therefore it's beginning to heal, & isn't infected. We want to avoid AB's after stasis. Stress reduces the WBC & the ability of buns to fight infections. We need to keep stress to a minimum= No unnecessary travel]

Then we can look at the recent events, although I hear you that he'll be seen by a good vet this time. A good vet will understand your reasons & agree with you I think.

I think follow your gut instinct. If you think it will stress Eric too much then cancel the appointment. You can always make another if necessary anyway :)

thank you judy and blackberry's mummy (sorry, no idea what your name is!). right now i have eric chewing my calico (i've been sewing again) and generally being awake and mischievous.

i'll definitely follow my gut instinct. fingers crossed he'll continue to do well - i think i may just take the claw part of eric to show them rather than the whole bunny.

just essie to fret about now!

Back