• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

worming

do you worm your rabbit(s)?

• Total voters

neenee

Warren Scout
Who worms there rabbits? Id especially like to hear from those of you with multi rabbits. Its proving kind of expensive with just three rabbits to worm! :wave::D

I feel preventing is much better than treating imo but obviously thats your choice :) My vet recommended a really good wormer. My rabbits are protected against everything, vaccinated, wormed, rear-guarded every 3 months and i think ill flea them but maybe thats going OTT :lol: Ive had such bad luck with neela i dont want anything to happen to my babies :)

I have panacured them regularly for the past two years but asked my vet's advice on it. She said that she strongly believed that all rabbits should have panacur at some point in their lives but 4 times a year is not necessary. To be honest I would only 'worm' them if they had worms they get Panacur to protect them from EC. I think I will only be Panacuring once a year now until some better advice about how often it should be done is produced.

I don't think rabbits need worming in the same way as dogs or cats because they tend to remain in one fixed area and are vegetarian so they don't have the same risks. The worm lifecycle is broadly because animals such as cats eat animals such as mice which are infected and rabbits obviously don't eat mice. Some species are also picked up from eggs directly on the grass but as rabbits tend not to go to the park or graze on verges frequented by lots of other amimals so they just don't have the same risk as dogs and cats.

The substances used for worming are the same as those used to control e.c. and they potentially have quite a toxic effect (and rearguard for that matter) so personally I am not comfortable with using a range of chemicals on them as a preventative measure without a specific reason to do so :)

as far as i know neither of mine have ever been wormed.....it is something i want to ask my vet about though. maybe just once a year

OH it did say on the rear guard packet can cause serious damage including death :shock::shock: omg panicking.

Don't panic! Everything has side effects and they have to list all the potential ones in much the same way that a packet of headache tablets has to list all effects no matter how serious yet uncommon :)

Having said that, rearguard is not something I would routinely choose to use on healthy buns as I think it can lull you into a false sense of security, doesn't cover the parts most likely to get attacked and is of course a chemical of sorts. But of course everyone is going to have a different view on the balance of risks and as rearguard is a prescription only medicine, I'd say it is something to take the advice of a trusted vet on what is best for your particular buns :)

Back