• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I think Bella is a little confused..: Phantom pregnancy - What to do?)

Oompa-Loompa

Warren Veteran
..except booking her in for a spay asap? :roll: She's nesting like crazy at the moment! :shock: And I have no idea what I should be doing :oops: Do I just leave her to it or do I interfere? She's putting so much effort into it,bless her :love: I feel so bad for her,how will she react when she realises that there aren't any babies? :(

Just let it run its course. She may pluck fur, get aggressive, even lactate, but whe its run its course she will dismantle the nest and carry on. I don't think she can/should have a spay until she has recovered from this though, but that is probably just my opinion.

I think it depends on what triggered it to be honest. If it is her body triggering it then it will probably be similar to an actual pregnancy, so if she is nest building it could be anything up to two weeks and she goes through the stages of fur plucking and the lactating. However, if she has a flurry she may be done in a day or two. I guess time will tell. If she thinks she needs to build a nest though, ensure she has loads of hay with which to do it.

Oh, and take pics :)

Well from what my sister has told me I think it's been going on for a few hours at the most, she was acting completely normal when I fed her this morning. Hopefully it's just a craze,she's always been a bit of a nutter :lol: Boris
is watching her with the funniest look on his face,he must be wondering what she's doing!

Dare I ask if there is any chance she could be pregnant? Like was she with a bloe within 6 weeks of his neuter?

Oh no that's impossible,thank goodness. She's never been with any bloke except Boris and they've only sniffed each other through the bars! And he's been neutered for 2 years so no worries there hehe :lol: she's just crazy I guess!

False pregnancies are not uncommon in entire does and can be linked to uterine changes (including tumours) so she will need spaying fairly soon. The problem is that when they have a false pregnancy they have more developed mammary and uterine blood supply so surgery is more traumatic to these tissues. We ususally wait two weeks after they stop showing signs of false pregnancy before we spay.
I would recommend gently tidying the hutch and removing the nest each day as this has been shown to shorten the period of nesting behaviour. However, if there is any chance she is pregnant you need to let her nest and monitor her carefully without too much intervention.

nesting

Hiya

I have done a post today, nobodys answered yet.

Go and read what I put, its good to have someone else thats expereincing it.

I am going through the same thing, although my doe wont let me touch the nest, shes driving us mad, poor girl. Im going to go with the idea of removing the nest , shes cleaned out daily anyway.

Good luck with yours

Sweety

if shes nesting remove the nest as it will only encourage her and she is more likely to start produce milk and get mastis
ann x

I wouldn't recommend getting her spayed until after she has stopped nesting and her hormones have died down. I got mine spayed while they were nesting and Jasmine pulled her own intestines out afterwards :shock: Not sure if it was related, but I have seen others mention that it is more risky to get a rabbit spayed during a false pregnancy.

nesting

Hiya

Yea, I wouldnt do it until later, if I decided, bit like dogs, you have to wait til they have finished and leave 2 months after a season, the womb swells up and more risk.

I have removed the newspaper and now shes only on straw and hay, seems happier, probably not so tired now, she spent all day ripping paper up.

Thanks

Sweety

Back