• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

MPHFs Floppy really, really needs all the good thoughts you can muster UD post 12

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
MPHF has just made this thread http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?p=3834659#post3834659

Let me tell you about Floppy.

She came into the RSPCA and was adopted out with her friend Barney to a family back in May 2008. Within two months both Barney and Floppy had escaped and Barney had been killed by a dog. It turned out that the owner had stuffed up badly and not followed our advice, resulting in this fatality. She also didn't want Floppy anymore. Thankfully, for Floppy, this was a positive thing.

MPHF had already had my first ever foster and I knew she was looking for a girlfriend for him so contacted her and asked if she was interested in Floppy. Thankfully, she was. It took a bit of work, but within 2 weeks Floppy was settled in her new home.

She had come from a place where she was given junk food, so didn't know what hay was, she had plucked her tummy bald (not a false pregnancy), was overweight and had horrific fur, and also got mega diarrhoea and mucous often in her poo (especially when stressed).

MPHF and her daughter turned Floppy around, and she became this slick, shiney, fluffy, healthy, hay munching love bug, and they were so happy.

Last summer I went round and was having Harley (her boyfriend- my former foster) cuddles and we were talking about how MPHF felt that Floppy was blind (and she had been able to see previously). When I finished my Harley cuddles I put him on the floor and Floppy just flew at him. He clearly smelt different and because she couldn't see, she didn't know it was him. Unfortunately, Floppy badly broke her leg and needed pins and some wire and work inside her front right leg. Still she fought on and became happy Floppy again.

MPHF posted this in another thread

At the end of March we noticed her dewlap was swollen. We took her to the vet and he diagnosed and abscess. She had x-rays done and it was discovered that the abscess had been cause by her tooth roots. After this operation, she struggled to come round from the GA and went in to stasis. We thought we were going to lose her that night but thankfully she picked up about 4am. Since then she has had the abscess drained another time but at the moment it is being controlled with weekly convenia injections.

Now Floppy is struggling again and MPHF and her daughter are trying to decide what is best for Floppy. I know that whatever they decide will be best for her because they are fantastic owners.

Please lets send them all (Floppy, Harley, MPHF and her daughter) many good thoughts and wishes becausethis bunny has been through so, so much already.

(I hope you don't mind me making this).

Last edited:
I sent some vibes on the other thread, but i have more to spare......massive vibes xxxxx

Well it confirmed our worst fears :(
The dribbling is not due to the abscess but just due to tooth root pain in general. Her jaw is swollen so that is what is causing the pain. He thinks more investigation would be more painful for her and wouldn't be any help.

We're hoping we still have a couple of weeks with her so Hannah can finish her exams before we have to make the decision but Charles thinks it could be as quick as a couple of days. :cry::cry:

:( I'm really, really sorry.

Let me know if there is anything I can do.

Has her medication been upped? Rosie was recently given Temgesic (Buprenorphine) tablets which can be given along side Metacam. They don't space her out like the injection would. I wonder if something like that might benefit Floppy?

If she has to go in the middle of Hannah's exams then you may be able to get extenuating circumstances for the following exams (if that's something you are worried about).

We will up her Metacam starting tomorrow to 6 drops to see how she does one that.
Charles didn't mention Buprenorphine. :? Is it a painkiller?
I'm praying for a lovely day tomorrow so that she can go out on the grass. :)
Even though it will upset Hannah, she says she doesn't need any special circumstances :roll: But that is what i'm worried about. Hannah also said she doesn't care about exams, we just need to do what's best for Floppy.

And thank you Tracy x

Yeh, its a narcotic painkiller. They give it as an injectable (may be what she had that time previously), but the tablet form can also be given. It's what Katherine prescribed Rosie. Might be one worth mentioning.

I shall roll my eyes at Hannah too. :roll: You can obviously talk to her HoY or whoever regardless of what she wants though (Sorry Hannah!).

I too hope tomorrow is a lovely day, and the next days are lovely days too, full of all Floppy's favourite treats and toys and everything she loves.

I'm gutted. I'm just so sorry for you guys.

Back