• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When to increse space

Rachel89

Mama Doe
After how long when bonding would you increase space?

My lot have been so happy with each other, lots of grooming, flopping in big piles together etc.
I increased there space by the tiniest amount and ended up with lots of biting, chaseing, fur pulling and they seemed on edge.
Have reduced it again an there like they were before all happy with each other.
Generally after how long do you normally increase the space?

There's no set time, you have to read your bunnies. Sounds like yours weren't ready yet. How much did you increase it by?

When we first bonded Lola with her bridge husbunny Milo they were kept in a small space but i let them have a lot of space within a short space of time. This bond broke down and they had to be seperated.

The second time it was a really slow time of increasing space. There was a little bit of aggression. We kept them very small for 2 weeks and then extended the cage very slowly - it took two months for them to be in a normal space (house rabbits)

However Milo and Lola were bonded a llittle over a week ago and they are already free range in the kitchen. But we have had no aggression at all except on the way to be bonded (they didnt want to go in the carrier together).

It really depends on your rabbits. Yours seem like they need a bit longer in the small space?

After how long when bonding would you increase space?

My lot have been so happy with each other, lots of grooming, flopping in big piles together etc.
I increased there space by the tiniest amount and ended up with lots of biting, chaseing, fur pulling and they seemed on edge.
Have reduced it again an there like they were before all happy with each other.
Generally after how long do you normally increase the space?

If they are settled you need to slowly increase it and then just do what you did if it starts chasing etc then reduce again for a few hours then increase it. Mine started everytime i increased the space and i had to reduce again then once i gave it back the settled.

Back