• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Catch the pigeon

georgie_f

Mama Doe
I jsut mentioned Catch, my pet pigeon, on another thread so I thought I'd put up some pictures of her (not that anyone on here is likely to be interested in a pigeon! :lol:).

6573_147529918573_709523573_3484151_2410765_n.jpg

6573_147529923573_709523573_3484152_687359_n.jpg

6573_147536783573_709523573_3484205_6404369_n.jpg

Going to the beach!
19254_286547588573_709523573_4692815_7834762_n.jpg

19254_286547538573_709523573_4692812_739665_n.jpg

19254_286547568573_709523573_4692814_6350016_n.jpg

19254_286547593573_709523573_4692816_2040333_n.jpg

My mum would kill me if she found out I'd posted that! :lol:

26603_374613538573_709523573_5093314_5472140_n.jpg

26603_374613743573_709523573_5093317_6928649_n.jpg

28560_451023968573_709523573_6071096_2291406_n.jpg

I do love my little pidgey. :love:

i'm interested!! :wave:

i looked after a baby pigeon that fell out of a tree. found two but one didn't make it :( found two the next year and both of them didn't make it either... :(

my little harry did though! :love: i wanted to keep him. if i had my own place at that time i would have done. miss him. :(

your pigeon is gorgeous! she looks so friendly aswell. :love::love::love:

She is a cutie! And quite the poser going by the pictures :love::lol:

:lol: She certainly is! I handreared her so she'll pretty much copy whatever I do - if I show her the camera, she'll peck at the buttons. Same with the tele remote, my phone, my ipod etc. :roll: She likes to come in the house in the evening to watch Eastenders with Mum, she pecks on the patio door until someone lets her in. And she recalls.

You'd never believe a pigeon could be so smart unless you met Catch! :lol:

i'm interested!! :wave:

i looked after a baby pigeon that fell out of a tree. found two but one didn't make it :( found two the next year and both of them didn't make it either... :(

my little harry did though! :love: i wanted to keep him. if i had my own place at that time i would have done. miss him. :(

your pigeon is gorgeous! she looks so friendly aswell. :love::love::love:

Awwhhh, that's a shame that they didn't make it, but good news for Harry! Did you release him back into the wild?

I have a little flock of twelve pigeons - two handreared the rest parent reared. Plus two strays that appear every day and nick some seed! :roll: I never saw myself as a pigeon person. My grandad always used to have them but I was never really interested... until a slightly bonkers old lady gave me four and my flock just kind of expanded and gained new members! :lol: They're a lot of fun though. :)

Awwhhh, that's a shame that they didn't make it, but good news for Harry! Did you release him back into the wild?

I have a little flock of twelve pigeons - two handreared the rest parent reared. Plus two strays that appear every day and nick some seed! :roll: I never saw myself as a pigeon person. My grandad always used to have them but I was never really interested... until a slightly bonkers old lady gave me four and my flock just kind of expanded and gained new members! :lol: They're a lot of fun though. :)

we took him to the bird sanctuary as he had a nasty wound on his head. basically the magpie had taken a chunk off the top of his head :( we bathed it with instructions from the vets until he could go to the bird sanctury. he was so sweet. he chirped at us. if we chirped he chirped back. he had a box as a bed and used to sleep there and shuffle about. aw, i fell in love with him. :love:

i really wanted to keep him. :( but he went to the sanctury and they had loads of pigeons. he made a full recovery aswell. :love:

just out of interest, do you have pics of where they live etc? and info about what they eat, and can you let them out to fly and they just come back again? at the sanctuary there were loads of them on the shed roof. :love:

she really is stunning!! what is her name? :love:

eta: sorry, seen the name now! :oops::lol:

:love: Wow!! I'm not the only one who has pigeons as pets!!!!!
I had 3 pure white pigeons, but Kasper died just 2 days ago :cry: I have no idea why, but it was a real shock. I didnt want to mention it on here as it's primarily a rabbit forum, but I wish I had now, as I was very upset :cry:

Your pigeon is GORGEOUS! I love the way you can take yours out with you. Mine are tumblers so cannot fly consistently, so they are only allowed out round my garden as when they take off, they panick and just fall to the ground! I'll show you some photos of Borris and Rolo soon! :D

ps. How old is Catch? and do people just not understand why you have pigeons as pets? Even my close friends think I'm strange :(

awwwwwwwwww :love: shes beautiful!!! i had a rescued racing pigeon for a couple of years, she had broken her wing and i nursed her back to health, she used to love my bunnies! One day she flew away i like to think she made it home to Ireland.

She's beautiful :love:

When I was growing up we used to keep "tumbler" pigeons, will try to dig out some photo's to show you :)

She is beautiful! I've had a few pigeons that I found injured in the street. They are brilliant creatures. So lovely that you can take her out for walks :))

If im honest i dislike pigeons on the street but i feel sorry for them alot of the time and feed them :oops: But wow catch is gorgeous! Never seen a pigeon that colour :love: Does she just follow you or is she attached to a rope when you take her out? Sorry if i sound stupid saying that but i know owls go for flys on a rope :oops: As you can see im not a bird person i know nothing about them but id love to own one someday :)

Oh bless :love:

I also rescue pigeons too if I find an injured or exhasted one. I feel so sorry for the ones with stumps and toes missing it really upsets me.

we took him to the bird sanctuary as he had a nasty wound on his head. basically the magpie had taken a chunk off the top of his head :( we bathed it with instructions from the vets until he could go to the bird sanctury. he was so sweet. he chirped at us. if we chirped he chirped back. he had a box as a bed and used to sleep there and shuffle about. aw, i fell in love with him. :love:

i really wanted to keep him. :( but he went to the sanctury and they had loads of pigeons. he made a full recovery aswell. :love:

just out of interest, do you have pics of where they live etc? and info about what they eat, and can you let them out to fly and they just come back again? at the sanctuary there were loads of them on the shed roof. :love:

she really is stunning!! what is her name? :love:

The poor little thing! I hear a lot about baby pigeons being scalped by crows and magpies. Luckily, I've never found one myself, I think I'd be too squemish to wash it properly. :oops: Glad to hear Harry made a full recovery though. :) They're incredibly tough little birds, even when they're babies. I'm not sure I have any decent pictures of where they live.... Oooh, I have a picture of my shed -

They live in the 'room' on the left hand side, the door has an upside down avairy door panel attached so nothing can just walk in (hopefully!) and they are let out to free range all day unless the weather is awful or there's no one in all day to keep an eye on them. They go in and out of the shed when they please and put themselves away when it starts to get dark (or if I flap my arms around enough! :lol:). I shut Catch in if I'm not around to keep an eye on her as she's so tame, she'll go and annoy the neighbours - she's been known to go into the hotel and help Alan pull pints behind the bar. :roll: The shed has a few shelves and perches for roosting and an old four foot hutch which they often make nests in (I replace their eggs with plastic ones). I'll try and get a picture inside if I remember!

:love: Wow!! I'm not the only one who has pigeons as pets!!!!!
I had 3 pure white pigeons, but Kasper died just 2 days ago :cry: I have no idea why, but it was a real shock. I didnt want to mention it on here as it's primarily a rabbit forum, but I wish I had now, as I was very upset :cry:

Your pigeon is GORGEOUS! I love the way you can take yours out with you. Mine are tumblers so cannot fly consistently, so they are only allowed out round my garden as when they take off, they panick and just fall to the ground! I'll show you some photos of Borris and Rolo soon! :D

ps. How old is Catch? and do people just not understand why you have pigeons as pets? Even my close friends think I'm strange :(

Oooh! Another pigeon keeper! :D Yeah, my friends all think I'm really strange having pet pigeons! :roll: Especially Catch as she's so 'different' - generally, once they've met Catch though, they're converted. She's even made friends with the postman and sits on his hat whilst he delivers our neighbours post.

I've never taken Catch far away from home - the beach we're on is literally only a 50 metre trip away so if Catch was to fly off, she'd just have to fly over the top of the cliff and home within 30 seconds. She chooses to stay with us if we take her down there. I think we're her flock. :) I'm hoping to get her a special harness from a lady I found in America so I can take her for walks a bit furthur afield. She's nearly two now. :)

I'd love to see some pictures of your birds if you find time to post them. :) I'm really sorry to hear about Kasper too. :( I don't know what it is with pigeons but they always seem to go really suddenly. I think some of my birds have a bit of tumbler in them - they'll be flying along as a flock and the next thing, they're all hurtling towards the ground! :shock: Crazy birds! :lol:

If im honest i dislike pigeons on the street but i feel sorry for them alot of the time and feed them :oops: But wow catch is gorgeous! Never seen a pigeon that colour :love: Does she just follow you or is she attached to a rope when you take her out? Sorry if i sound stupid saying that but i know owls go for flys on a rope :oops: As you can see im not a bird person i know nothing about them but id love to own one someday :)

Street pigeons do have a fantastic ability to look a bit manky don't they?! :lol: I always feel sorry for them when I see them being chased by little kids or see ones with gammy feet etc. I don't suppose they have to awful lives though - lots of free chips! I'd be happy with that! ;):lol:

Catch mostly just follows me about. I'd never take her a long way away though, unless she had a harness on. The beach is really near my house so if she did decide to fly off, she'd know how to get home again. :)

Back