• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Somebody talk some sense into me.... !!

georgie_f

Mama Doe
I don't need to rehome a gorgeous french lop buck do I?

No. No I don't. Do I? Maybe I do... Wait! NO. :no:

Dear God, help me! :shock::lol:

Course you don't! I say keep, take lots of pictures and post them on RU.

Think of it as being a service to RU. Also it should hopefully stop me getting a french lop because I'm getting incredibly broody at the moment!

I mean do I need to give one a home, not give it away! ;) I could never give one of my buns away. Even grumpy butt Barley! :lol:

:lol: S'my fault, I didn't word that post very well! :roll: I really am torn about this bunny though. He's on the... *whispers so the rest of RU can't hear*... free-ads :oops::(

Haha I think I'm just stupidly tired as well!

Every unwanted bun needs a home so don't feel bad about that! If you can afford one I'd go for it! I know if I had the room I'd get a pair of frenchies! I'm very jealous.

Any pictures?

This is the picture on the advert -

U52704F1WWTCCBEK.JPG

He looks sad :( The advert says he's 8 months old and is free to a good home only :)roll:) and "needs a home that has a large run or secure garden as he is a very active rabbit that enjoys the freedom to run around." The seller also has guinea pigs up for free and two grey baby bunnies for £15 which I'd hazard a guess are this buns offspring, plus a mnaky looking ark run. Bit worried she may be getting rid as he has health issues or something. :? I can afford to get him neutered and vacc'd but I'm not sure I could cope if it turned out he needed dentals or something. (But then, I say that about Daphne but I always find the money somehow).

Owwwhhhh, I hate the thought that someone's going to see he's free and get him for breeding or something. :oops:

And this is why I want a french lop. You're not helping me here!

I would really say go for it but if there's health problems you could be in trouble.

I'm not really helping here am I?

I knooooow, me too! He looks like he needs a bit of love. His fur doesn't look in great condition to me but it's hard to tell from a photo I guess. I think I'll email the seller and see if I can find out some more information.

To be honest, I'd think my Mum would tell me 'No freaking way!' but she was all for catching my wildie bunny friend the other day so I might be able to talk her round! :lol:

And this is why I want a french lop. You're not helping me here!

I would really say go for it but if there's health problems you could be in trouble.

I'm not really helping here am I?

Sorreh! :p:lol: I guess if it does turn out he has health problems and I couldn't afford them, I'd have to find him a rescue space. Surely that'd be better than him going anywhere anyway right?! So long as he hasn't got any on going health issues (like teeth) I should be fine. And if he does, it'd finally force me to get of my backside and get a better paid job! :lol:

you could write up a basic contract that states if the vet finds any pre-existing problems with him in the next 7 days or something that she'll be liable for the costs. That way you can take him to the vet straight away and if anything does come up you can take her to small claims court.

you could write up a basic contract that states if the vet finds any pre-existing problems with him in the next 7 days or something that she'll be liable for the costs. That way you can take him to the vet straight away and if anything does come up you can take her to small claims court.

Good idea, but I think as she's giving him away free she'd just give him to someone else if I said that. :( The advert's had a few replies already and it says it only got posted this evening.

I've sent a message and explained I'd get him neutered and try to either bond him into my trio in the shed or with Cloud and Barley in the playhouse. I've also subtley asked if he's been neutered/had vaccs/has any known health issues etc. I should think if he does have any problems, she won't bother replying as she'll just want rid without having to explain.

I do hope she's serious about finding him 'a good home only' :?

Without sounding harsh, I would ONLY take him on if you could afford the worst scenario costs.

A few people on here have got buns from freeads, thinking they are doing the right thing, and doing their own private rescue as such, only to find the rabbits has extensive problems.

If this happens, is it really fair to get a rescue to bail you out of a responsibility you have taken on?

Rescues, especially at this time of year, have huge waiting lists. When we were taking buns in, we would always have a waiting list of between 20-40 buns at any one time. So why should a rabbit taking on by a fellow forum member automatically jump the waiting list for a place and take up funds needed by many other bunnies?

If you can afford any potential dental and other problems, then the decision is down to you :)

Without sounding harsh, I would ONLY take him on if you could afford the worst scenario costs.

A few people on here have got buns from freeads, thinking they are doing the right thing, and doing their own private rescue as such, only to find the rabbits has extensive problems.

If this happens, is it really fair to get a rescue to bail you out of a responsibility you have taken on?

Rescues, especially at this time of year, have huge waiting lists. When we were taking buns in, we would always have a waiting list of between 20-40 buns at any one time. So why should a rabbit taking on by a fellow forum member automatically jump the waiting list for a place and take up funds needed by many other bunnies?

If you can afford any potential dental and other problems, then the decision is down to you :)

I wouldn't just shrug my shoulders and give him up. :? If I took him on and found I really couldn't afford to keep him, I'd try and find him a good new home myself or/and I'd see if I could get him on a waiting list somewhere and keep him until a rescue space opened. I certainly don't expect to 'jump the waiting list'. Personally, I think me taking him would be favourable to letting him go as a breeding rabbit or to someone that'd keep him in a four foot hutch. I understand where you're coming from though, I know from reading your posts that rescuing is hard work.

I'd only have issues with cost if he required regular and expensive treatment for something or other. ie - If he had severe dental issues. There are extra hours going at work that I can take if I need some extra money but the problem is being paid monthly - if I found he needed a dental say, a week before pay day, I'd probably have a problem (I always worry I won't have enough for Daphne's dentals but so far, in four years, I haven't had to postpone or cancel anything, I think I'm just a natural worrier!). Things like neutering, vacc's, one off vet visits etc, I have no problem with, and I have a backup savings account for emergencies. I think that's probably the same for a lot of people really.

I wouldn't be considering it if I really didn't think I could afford it, but I will be sensible and think it through if I find he has dental problems or any other recurring issues. :wave:

Last edited:
yes but rescue buns develop issues too.

not all rescues can take them back either...so either way its pot luck.

im a frenchie addict...i used to have two but i lost my big girlie almost 2 years ago now:( she was 22 months old.

bertie i borrowed and then adopted aged 18months...and i used to hate rews..but hes converted me...frenchies are big teddy bears:love:

:love::love: oooo he's GORGEOUS!!
I know what I would do, but that's because I'm impulsive... which isn't always sucha good thing!

do it, do it, do it, do it!!! :love::love:

TBH, I am the worst person to ask about this because both the buns I own now are freeads/preloved buns :oops:

Back