• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mixing a steroid with Metacam (An NSAID?)

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
When Badger was prescribed his steroid I was told not to give him his Metacam, which I obviously stopped.

Now, my wonderful little plank Badger found a teeny bit of Metacam (about a drop or less) Rosie had spilled and licked it up :roll:

I don't know what happens if they are mixed. I know its not a giant quantity, but is there anything I should be watching for? Would something of this small amount have an effect? What does happen if you mix them?

I doubt that such a tiny amount would be a problem.

The main issues with using a NSAID after giving a corticosteroid is Kidney damage I think :? Aswell as GI tract ulceration :?

I agree with Jane. You wouldn't want to give Metacam at the same time as steroids but such a small drop won't do any harm plus it's a one off.

Ok, that's cool. I thought it probably wouldn't be a huge deal, but didn't know for sure.

I'd also forgotten I made this thread :roll:

Thanks guys :)

Both together increases the risk of stomach ulceration so perhaps if it ever happens again then a dose of zantac would be wise but the teeny bit of metacam would be well and truly absorbed by now. Keep an eye out for very dark poos or any signs of stomach pain for the next 24hrs that could signify an inflamed/ulcerated stomach lining and get her to the vets if any concerns

Thanks Marie. He had his steroid a good 14 hours after the metacam, so hopefully having them so separate helped. He's his normal pickle-ish self though, so that's a good thing. I'll keep an eye. Thanks.

Back