• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New addition - 8 month Chinese hamster

Rykat

Mama Doe
Please welcome the newest edition to our family, the hamster with no name ....

Ham5.jpg

Ham2.jpg

Ham4.jpg

Ham1.jpg

It all started last Wednesday with a trip to P@H to buy some frozen blood worm for my mum's rescue newt (came from RSPCA, and sadly can't be released).

OH was in shop next door looking at beds as I said I'd only be a minute, I walked past the adoption side and saw a tiny grey bum and fell in love !

Her story is she was handed into another branch as the owners were moving and couldn't take her with them, she'd been there since April and as she's very nervous no-one was interested so they moved her to this store.

The first time I saw her face was when she came out of the box and oh my, she looks like a tiny bush baby, she has HUGE black eyes.

So far I've pretty much left her in peace, just changing food and water. Anytime I opened the cage she shot into house, but last night she was out and sniffed my hand :D It's going to take time to gain her confidence, with my other hammies it was much easier (syrians, robos, and campbell), but she's gaining in confidence each day.

Any advice on taming will be greatly received, she's so tiny I'm actually quite scared I'll never be able to handle her :(

Sorry, I don't have any advice, I'd be scared I'd loose something so tiny in my living room! But she has a reall gorgeous wee face :love:

Bobby she is :love: she is tiny and loko at those eyes :D

I wondered what had happened to the newt glad he found a good home, I found feeding him a bit weird

I just squeeled when I saw her face !!

Kath - It certainly is, he sometimes does an alligator "death roll" when being fed which is quite strange :shock: I'm newt sitting whilst they're on holiday !

Absolutely gorgeous!! when Indy dies I was debating getting one of these but am a little hard at handling small things lol so might just get another Syrian.

Well after tonight i'm NEVER getting another one ... we had an escapee :shock:

It all started with my OH putting more bits onto the rotastak and transferring her from the travel cage to the unit again.

Me: "just use a jar to catch her"
Him: "I can do it"
Me: "no you can't, she's very fast"
Him: "Just let me try"
Me: "Mmmm"
Him: "Oh s**t!"
Me: "Let me help"
Him: "I can do it .... s**t!"
Me: <quiet>

After thinking she's made her way down the crate to the floor we eventually found her at the back of the radiator (off) and he managed to catch her.

At least we know she's friendly as she didn't try to bite him.

He has admitted that next time he'll listen to me !!

I've not tried handling her yet as she's so tiny and fast.

I miss Syrians !!!! :lol:

HAHAHAH! Oh dear! well Syrians can be just as bad. When Lillian got my Syrian Santana for me, she told me that she escaped and both her and her mum spent half an hour trying to catch her hahah!!

She escaped in my bedroom too but I managed to grab her.

Back