• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny bottom wash - help please!

drpengie

Wise Old Thumper
My newest member of the family Blackberry has a broken leg which just drags about. He is not in any pain, but he seems to wee all over. I have just noticed that all his fur around his bottom was wet & matted & when I looked he is quite pink and looks a bit sore down there. I have given him a bit of a bottom bath & rubbed a little sudocreme on, and he is currently wrapped up in a towel.

Is there anything else I can do for him? How often should I bathe him? Or should I just give him a wipe with a damp flannel a few times a day?

Thank you!

Last edited:
A warm damp flannel wash twice a day or when you see he's peed on himself is a good idea. If it starts to smell too bad use a teeny bit of baby or non medicated shampoo in with the water, but rinse it off very well and remember to dry as much as possible. The sudocrem will help prevent his skin getting any sorer so keep up with that. You might also want to put some on his "working" foot to prevent sore hocks from taking the extra weight.
Hope the little ones leg heals soon :love:

A warm damp flannel wash twice a day or when you see he's peed on himself is a good idea. If it starts to smell too bad use a teeny bit of baby or non medicated shampoo in with the water, but rinse it off very well and remember to dry as much as possible. The sudocrem will help prevent his skin getting any sorer so keep up with that. You might also want to put some on his "working" foot to prevent sore hocks from taking the extra weight.
Hope the little ones leg heals soon :love:

Thank you! His leg will never heal. It's completely broken and will always hang loose. The rescue have told me not to try & get it fixed cos he probably won't survive the op! :(

I don't know if you'll want it or not but I've got some iodine which the vet gave me to bathe Leos manly bits in and also some antiseptic soap wash.

There's really not much of either especially the soap wash but if you want I can send it over to you and the iodine is a travel size bottle which is about half full.

Poor little mite! :cry: I think damp flannel as you said, I have to give Carlo one every now and then, he is just a bit of a dirty boy:roll:

Last edited:
My Inca has wet on her back end & legs off and on since i got her.

I use a small amount johnsons no more tears baby shampoo if she gets really smelly, but apart from that i just try to soak up the wetness with kitchen roll. Sudocream is a good barrier, just make sure bun doesnt lick it all off!!

I also cut Inca's fur quite short at her back end underneath, i get the vets to clip it when i am there. I find that this helps as she seems to manage to keep herself cleaner when it is shorter.

Back