• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

feeling the pinch due to the cost of decent veggies :(

Can anyone advise me on where to get some decent veg for the buns?

Silly question, but i dont suppose theres a totally awesome website that sells amazing quality vegetables at brilliant prices? :lol:

Ive tried getting veg from the local farmers market - organic = £££
Ive tried the local fruit and veg shop - poor quality and not really worth the money. If its going to cost me this much i want veg i would be happy to eat too.
Ive tried the weekly market in a nearby town - not worth the money by the time ive paid my bus fair! :(
Ive asked the corner shop for the stuff they cant sell - aparently they arent allowed to give it away anymore unless its the loose bits in the bottom of the boxes.
I find that the supermarket is quite expensive too :(

I just dont know what to do anymore, when i do go out and buy veg, there seems to be loads, but it only lasts a few days! :lol:

Any ideas?

I would suggest doing the rounds of supermarkets at the times when they are reducing things (you'd probably have to go out a few nights a week though to get enbough doing it solely this way) because you can get great stuff for really cheap then.

There are loads of other ways too, but I can't think of any off the top of my head :lol:

Growing them yourself!

Do you have a local market - mine happily give me the off cuttings.

Could you grow your own in tubs? Greyhound Cabbages grow like crazy!

What about greens like dandelions and dock leaves - free!

Ask your neighbours for their off cuttings.

Even if you get a tub - sprinkle some rocket seeds in it - within a week or so you will have fresh organic rocket.

you cant feed doc leaves can you :shock::shock:

my rabbit nutrieint book says no to docs

oops its just when there are flowers :oops::oops:

I just try getting to Sainsburys near closing time but to be honest it's never THAT good. Still pretty expensive. I hope someone comes up with a good answer for both of us!

I just try getting to Sainsburys near closing time but to be honest it's never THAT good. Still pretty expensive. I hope someone comes up with a good answer for both of us!

You need a less upmarket one. Tesco cuts a lot of its goods down to 10p to shift them. I've come away with armfuls of 10p stuff quite often.

You need a less upmarket one. Tesco cuts a lot of its goods down to 10p to shift them. I've come away with armfuls of 10p stuff quite often.

There's a massive Sainsburys a five minute walk from my house. To get to Tesco/Asda anywhere like that would require me roping someone into giving me a lift. Humph. Doesn't really leave me with much choice sadly!!!

I have been feeding a lot of stuff from my garden at the moment... I let the grass grow long and weedy... they get grass, dandelion and clover every day, plus I have some plantain seeds ready to plant... I have rose bushes they can eat too... and lavender...

Could you not try to go more natural in the garden and feed like this?

...Growing them yourself!

That is highly unlikely! i bought some seeds to plant last year, theyre still in their packets!!! :oops::lol:

Im not very green fingered im afraid!

Might have a scout round the supermarket a few times this week, see what we can find :) thanks x

I think Clarence would welcome anymore ideas, he's sat next to the laptop watching the screen! :love:

Do you have a local market - mine happily give me the off cuttings.

Could you grow your own in tubs? Greyhound Cabbages grow like crazy!

What about greens like dandelions and dock leaves - free!

Ask your neighbours for their off cuttings.

Even if you get a tub - sprinkle some rocket seeds in it - within a week or so you will have fresh organic rocket.

We have a local farmers market in the summer, its all organic stuff so would be really good. I might ask them next time its on :) i only work around the corner from it.

Dendelions are great, especially since they are in abundance this year...although ive still managed to clear the back lane of them!! :lol:

I should probably give it a try, my little brother might enjoy growing some veggies :)

My local supermarket used to be cheapish at closing time, but its closed for refurbishment and its changing to sainsburys :(

Well, if you come accross a good answer elsewhere, let me know!! :)

i love your signature by the way!! :love:

Get an allotment and grow your own, lot's of veg and fruit for you and the buns.

Excellent idea, although im not sure at the age of 18 i can afford an allotment. But i have just remembered people leave boxes outside the allotments to get rid of some of their veg. Ill have to have a walk down at some point. :)

I shop at Aldi for my fruit and veg too as they are a lot cheaper than the other supermarkets, and they are still good quality.

I have been feeding a lot of stuff from my garden at the moment... I let the grass grow long and weedy... they get grass, dandelion and clover every day, plus I have some plantain seeds ready to plant... I have rose bushes they can eat too... and lavender...

Could you not try to go more natural in the garden and feed like this?

i didnt realise i can feed rose bushes! we have a few in our garden. Lavendar is a no no for me, im allergic. We cant let the grass grow too long because our neighbours are hell bent on winning "saltburn in bloom" every year :lol: They are a flipping nightmare!

Excellent idea, although im not sure at the age of 18 i can afford an allotment. But i have just remembered people leave boxes outside the allotments to get rid of some of their veg. Ill have to have a walk down at some point. :)

Mine is a half plot and costs a tenner a year. The amount of rhubarb and spring onions I've had off it already which I never planted has been worth the tenner already!

Mine is a half plot and costs a tenner a year. The amount of rhubarb and spring onions I've had off it already which I never planted has been worth the tenner already!

ok fair point, although im not sure id have the time to manage it ontop of college, the buns and the horses.

Its given me a few things to think about though, i know a few people with alotments, they might give me a small patch if i give them a contribution :)

we go to Aldi! Their veg is really cheap & they do special offers on certain veg! Also I find that is is better quality than most other supermarkets for a fraction of the price.

Or you could grow your own :)

Back