• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone know

Minimallow

Wise Old Thumper
How to encourage a rabbit who wont go down a ladder to go down? Just wondering if anyone knows if rungs may put some off and if it may be an option to try some other way?

What I did with my foster bunny today after being in the hutch for the day I put him in the run attached and then he learnt to go up and consequently wanted to go back down again,if you get what I mean.

Its foster buns i have too! Never experienced it with my own :lol: One will go up and down the ramp but the male will go up if you put him in the run but wont go down if he's in the hutch bless im! :love: Im just wondering if the rungs maybe put him off?

I had this problem with Blanche at first. I left her for a few hours and nothing happened, so I tempted her down with a carrot and that was that!

Its foster buns i have too! Never experienced it with my own :lol: One will go up and down the ramp but the male will go up if you put him in the run but wont go down if he's in the hutch bless im! :love: Im just wondering if the rungs maybe put him off?

I also put dandelions down each piece of the ramp and that didn't work either :roll:

I also put dandelions down each piece of the ramp and that didn't work either :roll:

Awwww. I was thinking of feeding them at the bottom in the hope when it was feeding time he'd try and come down but with them being a pair the female may get down and eat it all before he gets there!
Am thinking of putting both in run with hutch area blocked off for a little while each day to get them used to being in the run as they tend to spend almost all their time in the hutch. Am hoping it might work!

Awwww. I was thinking of feeding them at the bottom in the hope when it was feeding time he'd try and come down but with them being a pair the female may get down and eat it all before he gets there!
Am thinking of putting both in run with hutch area blocked off for a little while each day to get them used to being in the run as they tend to spend almost all their time in the hutch. Am hoping it might work!

Sounds like a good plan. I think Karenm in a post put a stool or something at the bottom of the ramp so it wasn't so steep. My foster bun is up and down like a yoyo now. :lol:

Sounds like a good plan. I think Karenm in a post put a stool or something at the bottom of the ramp so it wasn't so steep. My foster bun is up and down like a yoyo now. :lol:

Awwwwwwww :lol: Glad to hear it. I'll try all the idea and let you know next time i can get online if we have success :wave:
Thanks!

I used a pellet on each step as bribery. As bad as it sounds, sometimes some careful physical encouragement can eb enough to show them what to do. The only bunny I had who refused was Tilly with head tilt, and she could do it, she just didn't believe she could.

Also remember to make sure there is water and food and shelter at both the top and the bottom until you know for sure they can and will do it.

I used a pellet on each step as bribery. As bad as it sounds, sometimes some careful physical encouragement can eb enough to show them what to do. The only bunny I had who refused was Tilly with head tilt, and she could do it, she just didn't believe she could.

Also remember to make sure there is water and food and shelter at both the top and the bottom until you know for sure they can and will do it.

Hi thanks for that. I'm well aware that they will need food and water etc in both places, but thanks anyway!

Hi thanks for that. I'm well aware that they will need food and water etc in both places, but thanks anyway!

Yeh, I thought you would be :) I often write things not directed at the person I'm replying to, just to try and inform someone if they are struggling with someone similar :)

Is the ramp moveable? I would put a box/block of wood or something under the end of the ramp to make it less steep, I've found that some foster buns won't use it because it looks too steep. If you can get them used to it being at a smoother angle you can either keep the box there or slowly swap it for smaller boxes as the bun gets more confident.

Great thanks! Will defo try that. Sounds a good plan. With all these ideas i cant fail (well i can but i'll try not to!)

I tried a small step at the bottom to make the ramp less steep. It depends how big the ramp opening is though, and how big the bun as it makes the opening smaller too.

Also, I used one of those wooden bendy log things (can't remember the name but hope somebody knows what I mean :oops: :lol:) to form a tunnel at the top of the ramp to encourage Bubbles to go down it. She seemed to prefer the enclosed space (probably more warren-like).

I found with Mischa I had to give him gentle encouragement ie. a gentle push on the bum. That and some time got us there in the end.

My new one struggles with the rungs. Hes learning though, it must be a little harder for him because hes bigger than my dwarfs.

Do you know what it is he doesnt like about it? Maybe try attatching carpet in between the rungs, or coarse sand paper.

The ramp in my new hutch is coated with the same stuff that goes on the roof and my buns have much better grip.

Back