• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

need advice, saw terrible bunny maltreatment today

Candiflare

Mama Doe
Just posted this in rabbit welfare but there aren't many people there and I want to call the RSPCA by the end of the day

I took a girl from our village to a local so-called sanctuary today and was appalled at the manager's attitude to rabbit care and rabbits. I won't go into all the things that were wrong (no hay, they were breeders,unvaccinated, breeding with wild rabbits, no water) but the thing I was most worried about were two rabbits who looked blatantly unwell. I need you to help me identify what was wrong with them so I can describe it to the RSPCA.

They were REWs and were sitting there with their heads drifting from side to side, and it looked like they couldn't hold their eyes on anything. Do you know what I mean?

I went in and told the manager that they looked ill and she said it was "just part of them growing up." Obviously I don't believe her - practically losing balance in baby rabbits is NOTHING to do with growing up.

Can anybody tell me what this is so I can make the RSPCA aware of what it might be?

I think an RSPCA visit is at least warranted seeing as some of the animals had no WATER on a day like today.

What really topped it all off for me, what really took the biscuit was the fact that she tried to "hard-sell" a baby rabbit to me. He was on the counter as their "latest" ready to go baby, and she swooped it up with one hand and shoved it on to me and told me that if he didn't go today he'd go to the "breeding barn." Then she talked at me for the next half an hour about how she loves her rabbits. I said that I was worried about the breeding does she was keeping, and she said "if you want one of 'em it'll cost you £400 as that's what they're worth to me."

anyway I've gone on and on but I'm just so annoyed and the point of this post is that I need to identify vaguely what's wrong with the babies before I call the RSCPA...

Sounds awful. :(

However; REW do the 'weaving' thing to see - they can't see very well so weave their heads from side-to-side to get a better view and it is 'normal' for them to do this. My REW gerbil used to do this and I've had REW ratties that did it too.

no experience so can't help. sorry this is going on. do call the rspca. or try the police. there's bound to be an offence there.

Is it possible it was the 'swaying' that often occurs in REWs and sables due to lack of vision?

Also, before you call the RSPCA, I would suggest writing a bullet point list so you can make sure you say everything you need to.

Sounds awful. :(

However; REW do the 'weaving' thing to see - they can't see very well so weave their heads from side-to-side to get a better view and it is 'normal' for them to do this. My REW gerbil used to do this and I've had REW ratties that did it too.

Oohh... right. I didn't realise that. Well I can't blame her for that then, but certainly the lack of water is enough!

Doesn't sound good - do you have a local branch you can contact but please phone the national number!! Poor things :(

Red eyed animals do tend to sway their heads, their eyesight isn't great so they do it see better. We find it with the sables some times as well.

The manager sounds lovely :evil:

Just posted this in rabbit welfare but there aren't many people there and I want to call the RSPCA by the end of the day

I took a girl from our village to a local so-called sanctuary today and was appalled at the manager's attitude to rabbit care and rabbits. I won't go into all the things that were wrong (no hay, they were breeders,unvaccinated, breeding with wild rabbits, no water) but the thing I was most worried about were two rabbits who looked blatantly unwell. I need you to help me identify what was wrong with them so I can describe it to the RSPCA.

They were REWs and were sitting there with their heads drifting from side to side, and it looked like they couldn't hold their eyes on anything. Do you know what I mean?

I went in and told the manager that they looked ill and she said it was "just part of them growing up." Obviously I don't believe her - practically losing balance in baby rabbits is NOTHING to do with growing up.

Can anybody tell me what this is so I can make the RSPCA aware of what it might be?

I think an RSPCA visit is at least warranted seeing as some of the animals had no WATER on a day like today.

What really topped it all off for me, what really took the biscuit was the fact that she tried to "hard-sell" a baby rabbit to me. He was on the counter as their "latest" ready to go baby, and she swooped it up with one hand and shoved it on to me and told me that if he didn't go today he'd go to the "breeding barn." Then she talked at me for the next half an hour about how she loves her rabbits. I said that I was worried about the breeding does she was keeping, and she said "if you want one of 'em it'll cost you £400 as that's what they're worth to me."

anyway I've gone on and on but I'm just so annoyed and the point of this post is that I need to identify vaguely what's wrong with the babies before I call the RSCPA...

To quote from another RU thread:

"Scanning - Moving the head from side to side in order to obtain a clearer picture of it's surroundings. Usually done by REWs".

Other RU members with more knowledge will be able to help further regarding this.

It hardly sounds like a "sanctuary" if the objectives are to breed/sell rabbits.

They appear to be selling rabbits to the public as a business, in which case I would respectfully suggest going down the "pet shop licence" route with the local council as well as the RSPCA.

Have they got a licence? If so, they are not complying with it.

Hope this helps.

Right... I've reported them now, thanks for all your help and the tip about making bullet points Sky-O. And the whole licensing issue.

The lady on the phone was genuinely concerned but I expect she hears stuff like this all the time.

It's just really ruined my day. Especially seeing how sad they all looked. The RSPCA lady was asking me how many didn't have water and exactly how many were cramped in one cage and I didn't count, so was worried that I'd get it wrong, but I suppose it's not about the exact numbers, but a rough estimate.

God this has really ruined my day.

It does sound like the babies were scanning, Snowy ( REW cashmere lop) does this as do my REW rats.

Sadly it is not illegal to breed or not to vaccinate, I would even guess if they had food other than hay it wouldn't count as neglect, so the only legal cause for concern would be lack of water.

However I think that breeding in a sanctuary just isn't on, although I don't think it is illegal. So many people use the term sanctuary very loosly, and I don't think that she can even be taken up on it with the trades description act.

My Merlin does the scanning. If its the place I am thinking of I intentionally don't go there :( Hope the RSPCA are able to do something.

My Merlin does the scanning. If its the place I am thinking of I intentionally don't go there :( Hope the RSPCA are able to do something.

It probably is the place you're thinking of and apparently the RSPCA have been called out loads of times. The manageress even said to me "Don't you call the RSPCA on me, they hate me, I hate them..."

I just feel all deflated and depressed now. I just can't believe I was subjected to the "hard sell" of a baby bunny like it was a piece of software in a computer shop.

Hi Kate,

I have replied to this in your other thread, miles behind as usual:lol:

Glad you have reported them. If it is the one I am thinking of I visited there 10 years ago. I was just starting the rescue and I went to other rescues to see how they did it. I was appalled!

It spoilt my day too, so I really sympathise, and it was the day after we got married, our 'honey moon'!!

Alice x

I'm sorry you had to see the poor buns like that and have that whole experience!

Well done for being proactive and letting the RSPCA know! That's the first step in shutting them down!

Might it be worth contacting the council too as someone else mentioned?
They can revoke their license and would keep tabs on them :)

Back