• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Orphaned wild bunny *urgent*

Muskrat

Young Bun
I work at cats and dogs home, we found a little bunny. His eyes are open, so he's presumably not a newborn baby. One of the dogs got him, so he's probably in shock and we're fairly certain his mum was hit by a car last night. I also think he has flystrike, he has eggs on his bum.

We have lactol and polyaid, are either of these suitable? I realise he's probably going to die, but I'd like to give him a fighting chance. Is it a good idea to get him to the vets? I worry that it would just stress him out even further and I'm not sure what they'd be able to offer at this point.

Is the flystrike treatment available in pet shops suitable for such a young rabbit? He fits in the palm of my hand, just to give you some idea of his size/age.

Thanks in advance.

He's still with us :) The emergency vets had just had a road traffic accident in, so they were a bit busy but the vet said that it's not as bad as it looks - just eggs. I have no experience of this sort of thing at all (don't actually have bunnies, I joined up here to research getting some in the future!) so I don't know what that means.. will need to research. The vet nurse got rid of most of them anyway and we need to keep on top of them if any more appear. He's going to see my normal vet tomorrow who is excellent with small furries.

He's just had 2mls of warm Lactol and is suckling from the syringe fine. I'll try and get a photo of him so we can maybe get a rough age estimate.. but does anyone know roughly how much I should be feeding him? He's about 150g.

In the process of reading the cottontails website now, thankyou!

I hope so too! Here he is:

IMG_3937.jpg

Any ideas on age? He's dead cute.

Oh my, he/she is soooo cute! I really hope the little fella(ess) makes it. Really good that you've managed to syringe feed :) Everything crossed, just beautiful :love:

My work mates wanted to call him Peter, but I don't want to name him unless we know he'll live.

Does your Peter have a thread? I'd be interested to read!

Awww, poor bunny! And yours too Spider of course. Loads of vibes for both of them.

I'm no expert at all Muskrat, but I'd say yours is 4 weeks old, maybe 5?

I hope your little man makes it! Lots of healing vibes for him from here.

Our bun is hopping around and has had about 10mls of Lactol. I've given him some grass but he's not interested. He did a smelly, gloopy wee/poo.. is this normal? It was sort of sticky and creamy white.. I think it was a poo.

ETA: Thankyou Hoppit, I've been looking at photos and thought about 4 weeks too :D

Just remembered, I have some Oxbow Critical care in the cupboard.. should I give some to bunny? I understand that he should be nibbling on hay/grass at his age and needs fibre to keep his gut healthy? Should I just keep his diet simple and milky for now?

I don't know if Oxbow critical care would be OK for babies. You can pm Beth (Brinsley Bunnies), who is a member here and has looked after lots of baby wildies.:)
Sending lots of vibes for your little one xxx

Just pm'ed you.:wave:
Just realised he had flystrike from reading the thread :(. Just check him all over for any more signs of maggots and eggs. I had a hedgehog in last night with thousands of eggs that I removed and then I discovered actual maggots all over his leg. Check for maggots in any puncture wounds and around any orifices. Sadly if you miss one egg it could be a maggot tomorrow and burrowing into the poor fella and eating away at his internal organs.:cry: I flush out wounds with hibiscrub or salt water and then treat the animal with topical ivermectin which will kill the eggs before they hatch and kill any maggots.

Good luck. What a cutie :love:.

He doesn't have any wounds thankfully :D

I'll pick up some ivermec tomorrow, I really hope none of the eggs hatch.. it would be awful to lose him just to one single egg :(

Poor hedgie, I hope he's alright!

Back