• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby woodpecker

Charys

Mama Doe
This little fella was sat on my decking when I got home from shopping. He appeared uninjured from initial checks and so we popped him in a box for a short while (outside and open on top, so he could fly out if needed)- as he was panting a bit as if shocked. When he stopped panting I took him out on my hand and held him still in the air - and he took off for a long fly to a fir tree. I think he may have had some concussion from hitting one of our windows. I think he's only a youngster ?

Babywoodpecker.jpg

How lucky to hold and have a baby woodpecker grip to your hand !

Last edited:
How cute is he?!! Birds are always flyijng into our windows, and doing that. They just take a few minutes 'time out' for the stars to stop spinning, and they're ok. It must be horrible for them though.

You must be used to those 'bird splat' dusty shapes on your windows like us then ? Mostly it is woodpigeons that do it here, so you hear a massive thud. The windows are far from clean, so it can't be that this is the problem. I think because our garden slopes downhill and they set off from the bottom and don't rise quickly enough flying up the garden some of them go poomff. Like you say, luckily it has only ever caused a few seconds/minutes of confusion, and usually I'd not touch them. I was just concerned that he was injured as one leg looked like it was sticking out a bit funny - he is fine though.

a bird flew into my window once but all i saw was the frog it was carrying :shock: i was sooo convinced that we had flying frogs :lol:

He certainly is a pretty bird. :love: So glad s/he is alright. We don't have woodpeckers here so it was nice to see a picture of one.

He is gorgeous! Definately a male because of the red head. This will be him as an adult...this little guy created quite a stir in the village when he set up home in my garden, as they aren't found this far north!
4222511731_368fe4fe7e.jpg

Back