• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How can I convince my parents to get two buns, not one?

Hedwiga05

Young Bun
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, i'm new:oops:

OK, a couple of years ago we had two rabbits, and they were lovely:love: They were healthy, had a good big run and seemed generally happy (I hope!!). When they passed away, we dismantled the hutch, run, everything because we didn't think we'd have rabbits again.

Now however, i've been having a few problems at school... so my parents agreed I could have a rabbit again to cheer me up. Thing is, mum says only one...

I've been researching lots and have read that two rabbits is much better than one as they've got company. But my mum still insists only one (probably due to the hastle of taking them to the vets, when we go on holiday etc).
How on earth can I convince her that the bunny would be much happier with a bun friend? I am right, aren't I?:?

Also, last time we had buns we could never hold them, we were too scared and didn't want to drop them having had no experience before. Would one rabbit be easier to become friendly with? Or should I still aim for getting two?

Please help, don't know what to do. One rabbit or two?:(

xxx

If I could only get one rabbit I would go for a different pet, personally. guineas, for example, are more cuddly, take up less room and you don't have to vaccinate them so she may be more willing to let you get a pair.

I'd suggest to her that you get your rabbit from the rspca as it saves money with them being ready neutered and vaccinated. They will stress the importance of getting a pair of rabbits when you go to visit.
It's really no more effort having two rabbits than one, the cost of vaccinations and the extra feed/hay is the only notable difference.

If you want cuddly rabbits then a rescue is your best bet as they will know the adult personalities of the rabbits and will be able to tell you how handleable a rabbit is - however, most rabbits don't like being picked up and I, for one, only pick mine up when I have to.

Maybe stress that if you only have one rabbit you're likely to be faced with a very frustrated, behavioural (possibly even aggressive) and needy bun. Having more than one bun actually eases the pressure on the owner because you dont have to worry about them getting bored or lonely.
The added costs would be in vaccinations and hay, and an additional vets fees. Vets fees are unforeseeable though, and of course you could have 2 buns that hardly ever need any treatment or 1 bun that gets very sick and costs alot anyway :?
As mentioned above Id definatly recommend going down the rescue route. The buns will already be neutered/spayed (so will save you the cost of getting that done) and will probably already be bonded. Also none of the rescues will let a bun go to a home where it is going to be kept alone, so again it will be explained to your mum why its so important to keep them in pairs :)
With regards to handling, most buns don't like to be picked up. My 2 hate it and will struggle alot, you have to remember that it is a very scary thing for them to be lifted off the ground so high. However mine LOVE a good stroke and loads of nose rubs. My Timmy and my bridge bun Tilly would come and sit next to me on the sofa or wherever I am to sit and get fussed for hours. If you dont force the picking them up thing i.e. only pick them up when you need to, they'll soon learn to trust you :love:
Hope that helps :wave:

If I could only get one rabbit I would go for a different pet, personally. guineas, for example, are more cuddly, take up less room and you don't have to vaccinate them so she may be more willing to let you get a pair.

I'd suggest to her that you get your rabbit from the rspca as it saves money with them being ready neutered and vaccinated. They will stress the importance of getting a pair of rabbits when you go to visit.
It's really no more effort having two rabbits than one, the cost of vaccinations and the extra feed/hay is the only notable difference.

If you want cuddly rabbits then a rescue is your best bet as they will know the adult personalities of the rabbits and will be able to tell you how handleable a rabbit is - however, most rabbits don't like being picked up and I, for one, only pick mine up when I have to.

Hm, i'm not too keen on guineas, much prefer bunnies:love: OK, I think i'll check out the RSPCA. I don't really know anything about rescues, but i'll have a look because it seems a good idea.:) It's mainly the hastle of neuturing I think is the real problem that bothers my mum.

Thanks for the reply:)

Maybe stress that if you only have one rabbit you're likely to be faced with a very frustrated, behavioural (possibly even aggressive) and needy bun. Having more than one bun actually eases the pressure on the owner because you dont have to worry about them getting bored or lonely.
The added costs would be in vaccinations and hay, and an additional vets fees. Vets fees are unforeseeable though, and of course you could have 2 buns that hardly ever need any treatment or 1 bun that gets very sick and costs alot anyway :?
As mentioned above Id definatly recommend going down the rescue route. The buns will already be neutered/spayed (so will save you the cost of getting that done) and will probably already be bonded. Also none of the rescues will let a bun go to a home where it is going to be kept alone, so again it will be explained to your mum why its so important to keep them in pairs :)
With regards to handling, most buns don't like to be picked up. My 2 hate it and will struggle alot, you have to remember that it is a very scary thing for them to be lifted off the ground so high. However mine LOVE a good stroke and loads of nose rubs. My Timmy and my bridge bun Tilly would come and sit next to me on the sofa or wherever I am to sit and get fussed for hours. If you dont force the picking them up thing i.e. only pick them up when you need to, they'll soon learn to trust you :love:
Hope that helps :wave:

My mum's got it into her head that we'll be with the rabbit all the time so it's won't get lonely, but I don't think that's realistic - it'll be an outside bun, and i've got school all day. Also, it'd get lonely at night! And I really don't want it to be lonely when i'm not there=[=[ I'd rather not put a bun through that ...:?
I think I'll definitely look into a rescue.... if I can find two that are already bonded and neutured and show my mum, that might make her more willing...:?
Ahh. Do you pick them up when you take them to the vets though?
Thanks for your help!:D

Take your mum along to a rescue and she can see buns all snuggled up with their husbun/wifebun. I'm sure when she seems them grooming, playing and sleeping next to eachother she'll change her mind;)

Where do you live? I'm sure peopel on here can suggest a local rescue:)

Take your mum along to a rescue and she can see buns all snuggled up with their husbun/wifebun. I'm sure when she seems them grooming, playing and sleeping next to eachother she'll change her mind;)

Where do you live? I'm sure peopel on here can suggest a local rescue:)

:lol: I hope so =]
I live in Liverpool.. meh! Are all rescues part of the RSPCA, or are some separate?

xxx

Back