• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neutere buck , none neutered doe

davinab

Young Bun
Sorry added this onto another thread by mistake......I have a single large neutered buck, but as I live on the west coast of Scotland am finding it VERY difficult to find a neutered doe..and wondered what the situation might be if I decided to take and pair an un neutered doe.
Yes I know I could have her spayed , but to be honest I cannot afford it , I have taken two males on both I had to have done one is already paired up, but my lovely bick black E lop is alone and if I cant pair him I will pobably try to rehome him with a long eared friend

Sorry added this onto another thread by mistake......I have a single large neutered buck, but as I live on the west coast of Scotland am finding it VERY difficult to find a neutered doe..and wondered what the situation might be if I decided to take and pair an un neutered doe.
Yes I know I could have her spayed , but to be honest I cannot afford it , I have taken two males on both I had to have done one is already paired up, but my lovely bick black E lop is alone and if I cant pair him I will pobably try to rehome him with a long eared friend

you could try bonding them all together in to a trio. bonding an unspayed female will be difficult as they get very territorial.

My concern would be that if you can't afford a spay, that you couldn't afford emergency vet care if it was necessary.

Bonding a fixed and an unfixed rabbit can lead to a variety of problems. In this case the girl may be territorial and fight, she may flirt and cause fights, also she will obviously be at high risk of hormonal cancers too.

Ideally a spayed girl is far safer, easier and more reliable to bond. But spaying is not just related and beneficial for bonding. Its important for physical health too.

I bonded a neutered male with two unspayed females and it was fine, but the girls started nest building and I had to take him out so they didn't attack him.

The státistic for an unspayed girl getting cancer is massively high, so I would recommend a spay. However, it is possible, you would just have to keep a close eye in case they got hormonal

Neutered Buck non neutered doe

I tried the trio scenario with the bonded 2 ,I have, but all hell broke loose , I understand the health benefits of spaying , but the bunnies up here are mostly not neutered, so I guess it doesnt matter who owns them they will have the same prospects.
Affording spaying against vet bills, is slightly difficult in that one is an emergency the other is not and of course one can take out insurance for vet bills.
I shall take your advice and keep looking for a spayed doe

Back