• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long does a hay bale last you?

youthnovels

Wise Old Thumper
Right I'm planning on getting a hay bale in the next few weeks because I can't afford to keep buying dust free hay and Leo is such a fussy little fellow he refuses to eat anything unless it's cost me an arm and a leg.

Roughly speaking how large are hay bales? How long do they last you (including how many rabbits) and do you buy just one at a time?

Thankyou :wave:

Last edited:
We buy a bale of hay from a local farm about once every 3-4 weeks for 5 rabbits and usually 1 foster rabbit (sometimes 2).

We only buy one at a time because that's all we can get in the back of the car and all we have room to store in the garage. :)

About 2/3 weeks for 6 rabbits. Usually buy one stalky and one normal bale and use the stalky for hay racks and the normal for their litter trays

About 4-6 weeks between 5 guinea pigs and Charlee. The guinea pigs go through it really quickly because they pull it out of their litter trays and soil it. Charlee doesn't go through it as quickly as I have her litter tray to one side and a huge pile of hay opposite it. She burrows through it and munches it but doesn't soil it, so there isn't as much wastage.

I fit almost all of the bale in 4 x 65L plastic containers - fits snuggly in the boot of my car.

A bales lasts around a month for 2 buns. :) Not much help on size, but a bale is almost the exact same size as a Renault Scenic boot. :lol::lol:

A bale lasts me about 2 weeks for 19 bunnies at this time of the year,less in the winter when theres not so much grass ......they do also get 'treat hay' too.

Depends how big the bale is ;)

Normal size that you would get would last my 4 probably about 2weeks.

I get gigantic horse size ones as of the horses and takes mine an eternity to get through :lol:

combine bale-buying with a day trip out!

The traditional cuboid bales are getting rare, because many bigger farms make the huge cylinder sort, but they're way too big for us to transport. We buy a traditional bale every 6-8 weeks for 2 buns and 2 GPs, less in summer because when they eat more grass they eat less hay.

Several farms around Tewkesbury sell them, so if you can't get one where you live and you fancy a tourist day, just bring your picnic for a riverside/abbey day and buy a bale to take back.

Probably any rural tourist area will have a few farms around that sell bales. Perhaps we could put a list together?

Back