• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit costs

pigsforlife

Mama Doe
We are currently re-doing our budget. Hopefully this will enable us to have the confidence financially to go ahead with getting Charlee a friend.

At the moment this is the sort of costs I go through with her;
- Oxbows Rabbit T - $26 per month
- Litter - $8.30 per month
- Veggies - $20 per month
- Hay - $1.20 a month

TOTAL - $55.55 per month

This doesn't include the bits and bobs I get her, nor the replacement of things like watter bottles etc but it is a general guide.

Now with two rabbits, how much would this increase by approximately? I also have 5 guinea pigs to look after, so do have to watch my costs. I won't need to worry about nueters/vaccinations (just the $90 adoption fee). She already has her 6ftx3ft pen, and then during the day an additional 6ftx8ft to play in so I won't need to worry about cages plus the bits that come with that (pellet bowl, water bottle, litter tray -- though I may need a bigger litter tray). I have 2 carriers of different sizes already. Anything else I am missing that I will have to get with an addition?

If you can help with these questions, or even provide what it costs you roughly per month it would be most appreciated.

After my experience with Molly last night, always plan for unexpected vet bills, especially if they get ill out of hours!

You could get them insured :)

I dont know about where you are, but its about £10 per month here, per rabbit.

I just worked out that over a 6 week period I spend $270 on necessities (litter, pellets and veggies)!! :shock:

I don't like vet bills, they are always so expensive - really put a dent in your pocket! Thankfully we haven't had a vet bill in 2 years now (except for a spay, a nueter and vaccs). I do try to make sure I have a bit of a buffer though in the case of vet bills.

I haven't looked into pet insurance! I will have to see if it is available in Australia.

depends on how sickly your new bunny will be. the day to day costs are no different ive found but of the three rabbits ive had in my life one is a stasis bunny and costs a fortune in emergency vets fees and the other one had an enlarged heart for the last 9 months of her life and i only had her for two years :(

so far Holly appears to be in perfect health. *touches wood*

these bunnies are too delicate to be able to ever say they only cost the basics so in reality we cant possibly make a realistic budget as a rabbit carer.

these bunnies are too delicate to be able to ever say they only cost the basics so in reality we cant possibly make a realistic budget as a rabbit carer.

Yes I agree. I was just wondering whether I would expect the day to day costs to double - I assume they probably will. I am also trying to account for anything extra I will need to get. Then I can roughly work out my expenses and see if I will have enough money spare to ensure I can look after another bun - and any vet bills that arise.

I try to keep a fairly decent buffer per animal for vet bills - I know how quickly they can mount! Went through a stage with the guinea pigs, it was a horrible patch. Buttercup was diagnosed with ovarian cysts, had to be spayed and ending up dieing, we had numerous respiratory infections and I got a new sickly bub who had to be forcefed for a week (due to bloat - similar to statis I think). With the bub (Ella) I spent $500 on one nights care! I just needed her to get through the night so that I could take her to the exotic vet!

The day to day costs don't normally increase by too much because you can buy in bulk.

For instance you can buy a 10kg sack of food instead of a smaller bag.I get litter at a reduced price if I buy 5 sacks at the same time. Stuff like veg can be cheaper if you opt for veg grown in your own country....here that means stuff like carrots and spring greens, which are very cheap.

my day to day costs didnt change, just the doubling up of the insurance. veg i wasted less with two but still bought the same amount as i did with one. they get so little pellets that it dont make a difference there either and i guess the hay i put out and throw away didnt increase much either.

just those damn illnesses :cry::cry::cry:

Thanks guys! That was the kind of info I was looking for!

abbymary - good tips! I do buy hay by the bale - which is why it works out so cheap per animal per month. I can get a bale for $10.50 and it lasts me about 6 weeks (if I am lucky). Pellets are a little trickier - the only size available in Oxbow is the smallest size at $26 a bag. I do have some chaff (finely chopped hay) that I could mix through with the pellets though - that may make them last longer. With veggies I shop at a fruit and veg market - I am going to have to pay extra attention to specials and homegrown produce though. Thanks!

donnamt - those illnesses are horrible. I am a bit worried about one of the pigs at the moment - she has lost just under 200g but is otherwise appearing normal. Animals can cause such stress sometimes!

Thanks guys! That was the kind of info I was looking for!

abbymary - good tips! I do buy hay by the bale - which is why it works out so cheap per animal per month. I can get a bale for $10.50 and it lasts me about 6 weeks (if I am lucky). Pellets are a little trickier - the only size available in Oxbow is the smallest size at $26 a bag. I do have some chaff (finely chopped hay) that I could mix through with the pellets though - that may make them last longer. With veggies I shop at a fruit and veg market - I am going to have to pay extra attention to specials and homegrown produce though. Thanks!

donnamt - those illnesses are horrible. I am a bit worried about one of the pigs at the moment - she has lost just under 200g but is otherwise appearing normal. Animals can cause such stress sometimes!

hope your pig is ok xxxx

Back