• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

washing a bunny

If a bunny has a messy bum whats the best thing to use to wash them??

YOur best bet is working out what is causing the messy bum as it's not normal.

Is your bun overweight? What do you feed him/her? How much do you feed? :wave:

Toilet paper/kitchen roll may wipe some off, you may need to cut some off (but be VERY careful). I did once have to bath Clover as it had spread and stuck - boy, can bunnies jump high!

I recommend using a bowl on the floor to avoid them hurting themselves if they jump out. You can get small animal shampoo.

Then have a look at the diet - too many pellets, or certain veggies may cause a messy bottom.

Good luck :)

I agree that you need to address the problem. Can be caused by illness or diet.

My Inca recently developed a Urinary Tract Infection, she is prone to this. She was very wet and smelly at her back end :(.
Antibiotics are clearing it up, but to get her clean i got the vets to shave off the matted bits of fur, then i bathed her back end in water with a small amount of johnsons no more tears baby shampoo, then dried her with the hairdryer on low heat. She was very good letting me bathe her, and the baby shampoo worked a treat to get her clean and fresh smelling :)

Last edited:
Back