• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

teeth discolouration and hip problem?

bunlover

Warren Veteran
dora who had suspected snuffles a few months back, who had recoverd fine, she then had vhd jab about 3 weeks ago and had been fine, and since then had been fine she seemed to struggle getting up last week on two occasions though seemed fine in herself and i kept an eye on it,

today i checked her weekly bum check and she was all clean underneath but i felt along her legs and the one hip seems more swollen or possibly that the other side has muscle wastage the left side which is the less muscular (am calling it that for lack of better word) seems to be the same side she sttruggled with getting up before.

now her teeth are brown stained i have never seen this before she normally has perfect teeth,

she drinks a lot of water she always has drunk much more than the others and this is normal for her she is eating and seems otherwise fine. her urine is normal and her poos are normal.

what can this be a sign of i will be getting her to a vet but i am struggling as the rabbti savvy vets are not tehre and may have to take her to gloucester at this rate especially as my shifts are rubbish. Dora is 5years old. she is a spayed female and vaccinated she had lapinject which she has always had and never had a reaction to so it is not a vhd jab reaction. besides it ahs been too long since.

any info much needed

I would suspect the tooth staining comes from eating plants, with a bit of middle age thrown in. Tetracycline antibiotics can also stain teeth yellow apparently.
I wonder if she is getting a little arthritic, hence the muscle wastage.
Some bunnies do just seem to naturally drink more than others but I would keep an eye on the fluid intake. She might need blood and urine tests if she starts to drink increasing amounts xx

I would suspect the tooth staining comes from eating plants, with a bit of middle age thrown in. Tetracycline antibiotics can also stain teeth yellow apparently.
I wonder if she is getting a little arthritic, hence the muscle wastage.
Some bunnies do just seem to naturally drink more than others but I would keep an eye on the fluid intake. She might need blood and urine tests if she starts to drink increasing amounts xx

thanks, i spoke to mum who suggested checking arthurs teeth (her partner) and he too has disolouration tho less than hers so i do think it is from eating plants prehaps from the additional apple tree leaves etc they had and some different nuggets for tea (mixed in with normal) im not so worried about that now phew! thankyou for reply (will keep eye on staining tho and mention it to vet) also with her hip will get her seen in case there is a diff problem and will try giving ehr metacam and glucosamine if no noticable effect will talk about cartrophen injecions with vet (should it be athritus) x

thanks, i spoke to mum who suggested checking arthurs teeth (her partner) and he too has disolouration tho less than hers so i do think it is from eating plants prehaps from the additional apple tree leaves etc they had and some different nuggets for tea (mixed in with normal) im not so worried about that now phew! thankyou for reply (will keep eye on staining tho and mention it to vet) also with her hip will get her seen in case there is a diff problem and will try giving ehr metacam and glucosamine if no noticable effect will talk about cartrophen injecions with vet (should it be athritus) x

Some leaves contain tannins, the substance in tea that leaves a stain on your teacups, so that would make sense :)

Back