• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can you treat mites yourself at home?

sacol4940

Warren Veteran
Or do they need to see a vet?

I've just noticed a small area on dandruff on the back of Paddy's neck, but not seen him scratching it

might not be mites, might just be dry skin. But yes you can treat them, you could buy the xeno 450 off the internet, usually turns out cheaper buy off the internet than the vets

Is there a rabbit equivalent to frontline? :? If there is, I would always recommend going for the prescription ones just because they are much more effective!

As said, it might not be mites, so best to see a vet.
However, the vet does just prescribe xeno 450 spot on, which you can buy online at vet uk. You need to apply this every two weeks for three weeks....to all buns. You also need to clean out your room, bedding and cage area well. I sprayed my room with johnsons mites spray, i got this in Pets at Home.

Okey doke, thanks everyone, I'll ring the vets when they open and see if they have any spare appointments today

From Rabbit.org:

"Representatives of Rhone Merieux Inc. admit they have received other reports of "adverse reactions" to Frontline when used on rabbits, but would not go so far as to say that they knew if other rabbits had died. They went on to say that they strongly recommend Frontline NOT be used on rabbits or other exotic species."

I have used Ivectmin (i think thats what its called) on mine before. It costs about £30 a bottle from the vets and they gave me the bottle to treat them at home.

Is there a rabbit equivalent to frontline? :? If there is, I would always recommend going for the prescription ones just because they are much more effective!

Advantage is the flea treatment liscenced for rabbits, but I think it is only for fleas, not mites.

You can buy the meds to self-treat mites (xeno 450 is the usual one) however mites can very often only become problem when the bun is under the weather in other ways, allowing the mites to overcome the bun's normal immunity, so there's certainly no harm in popping him along for a check up in any case.

Back from the vets and he said that it doesnt look like mites, just dandruff, but to treat it anyway just in case. They didnt have any Xeno in but I've got to go pick some up on Monday

Back