• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

House rabbit on stairs?

Smithyrock

Warren Scout
As in, is it okay? Currently when I'm out he has the run of the kitchen and the passage. Initially he never went upstairs but over time is doing so more and more. Now when I'm out I also leave the bathroom door open as it's another room with wipe clean floors and no wires for him to explore. Anyhoooo.... are stairs okay? He seems happy enough on them but thought I should double check. Still can't believe he has free rein of such a large area and yet there are no popes outside his litter box! I'd never have believed it before I had my own house rabbit. He really is like a little dog! He even comes running when he hears you put food in his bowl!:love::love::love:

While I'm on with the questions... are drinking bowls okay if refreshed twice a day? He doesn't have a sectioned off area so there is no where to attach a bottle and he's happy drinking from it.:D

Not sure if it makes any difference but I should mention there is carpet on stairs/ upstairs landing, just incase you all had images in your head of poor Benjy slip sliding down laminate stairs!:shock::shock::shock:

:love::love::love: It's amazing how much personality they have. I've heard stairs are fine, I live in a downstairs flat though so I've never had mine on them. I would supervise him just to be sure though :) at least until you know he's got the hang of it. Like I say though, I've never had mine on stairs before

I used to have house bunnies, and they were able to go up and down stairs. If I was going out and overnight I usually shut them in the kitchen, but occasionally left them to their own devices, if I wasn't going to be out for long. I used to change their bowl of water twice daily too.

With the bowls, I can't see an issue if you are ensuring it's fresh (as you say). One of my bunnies never drinks from a bottle, only a bowl. As for the stairs, are they sectioned off so the little love can't jump off the side?

Yes, he couldn't get through the gaps in the banister spindles as they're really close together. So strange to think that he used to be terrified to come in the living room and now he jumps on the sofa and I have to chase him out of the bedrooms, he's so funny! If he's trying to nibble a student's book or something I leave on the floor and I move it he stamps at me!:lol::lol::lol: About to post under 'behaviour' so please check it out.:wave:

Humphrey my house rabbit runs up and down the stairs and has done since the minute he came in ,i couldnt believe it as sugar and spice only ever stayed in one room:shock:I panicked the other day as i couldnt find him and he was asleep on the bed with the dogs :lol:

My bunnies have all used my stairs before with no problems. They love running up them really fast!

Mine all go up the stairs. We have a stair gate though because downstairs isn't bunny proofed. Mini goes down the stairs at a rate of knots, Nutmeg and Smudge have never had the opportunity because we now have the gate at the top of the stairs as Mischa is a bit clumsy and finds it hard to go down stairs and once tumbled down a few.

Mine love trooping up our stairs - I don't let them do it anymore though because they started to spend too much time upstairs on their own and were getting more and more unsociable - they're a pair of grumpy grumps!

The only thing with the bathroom - make sure the toilet seat is down. I was woken up by splashing one morning!!

Last edited:
my rabbit loves to go up and down the stairs. I asked this same question a few months ago, because i was worried she might fall and injure her self.
But she loves the stairs and charges up and down them like a bull.
I also give my rabbits water from a bowl. I think they are better because they can realy lap the water up and have a good drink on a hot day.

All good:D I feel reassured. I'd started worrying as he sometimes dashes down with some speed but I like him to have as large an area as possible to romp around. I've decided for definite that I'm going to resist all pretty shoes for the next couple of months and get my living room laminated. That way he can have another room when I'm out. There are only one set of wire so the socket is raised so will cover them with a thick house pipe as suggested on here. Was thinking I could maybe coat it in that horrible tasting stuff you can buy to paint on your nails when you're trying to stop biting them as an extra measure? Presumably it's ok for rabbits as it can be used for children? Only thing left to worry about is my precious purple velvet sofa that cost £1000:shock:! That said, I have a five year old so took out accidental damage cover on it for ten years so hopefully that covers rabbit widdle!:lol:

I used aquarium hosing for my wiring. Worked really well and was cheap. They still got at some wiring, from dashing into rooms they weren't allowed into, but most of it was safe.

I'm so excited for you all.
Yes I have covered cables, but he leaves them alone if they are close to the wall. I'vegot in the habit of turning everything off at the plug I can to be extra safe.
Mine is fine on the stairs & loves them. Many buns prefer a bowl for water.
You are doing great :thumb:

I made a very big mistake at the beginning with my bun. I et him see me redecorate & strip wall paper. It took months to stop HIM from stripping wallpaper!! Moral - don't let them see you doing ANYTHING you don't want them to do. They are incredibly bright!!

Gracie LOVES the stairs shes always bounding up and down them, she quite enjoys a nibble on the stair carpet too :roll: xxx

Back