• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fly strike please tell me how to make Paddy eat

Toyapops

Young Bun
Paddy is a giant bunny, 7.5 Kg two weeks ago when he had his mxy injn. This week, inexplicably he got fly strike. Nice clean boy, nice clean home, even had a bath two weeks ago. Now he is very low and we have to get him eating. His brother Max is fine but wondering what's happening. They are about 3 years old.
Paddy's had lots of treatment these last days and both are rearguarded.
I was "given" Fibreplex to get down him 3 times per day and a sachet of food to put in water and a 2 ml syringe. Does anybody know how to get the Fibreplex out of the tube and down Paddy? I can't depress the plunger without both hands and mighty force. I see the vet again in the morning but if anybody knows the trick to that. I have tried warming the tube but it's hopeless and on a spoon it's just wiped around his face.
I have some baby food I have put in his mouth with a small syringe but he's not bothered.
What can I do? Any ideas? Thanks.

Can you smear it on some parsely or cabbage?

I hope he is OK and you have caught it early enough. Unfortunately bunnies don't have to be messy to get fly strike, it can affect any bun.

Have you got another syringe? is so then you can put the amount that needs to be given into a bowl then spoon it into the other syringe. I have been giving my rabbit fibreplex these past two days and it is quiet tricky to get out my mum squirted it onto the kitchen ceiling :lol:. I know this is a silly question but have you turned the wheel around properly if you know what i mean?

Can you mash some pellets cool boiled water and mix in some banana? That normally gets bunnies eating (assuming they like banana of course).

Thanks, I will try the banana. I have just syringed in some banana and strawberry baby food but it's nothing compared to what a big bunny needs.
this fibre gel though, yep, I have turned the wheel setting. It's like a horse wormer set up but the stuff is 10 times thicker and the syringe bore is tiny. I will try again now my husband's home. Thanks for your support.

I tried to use one of those Fibreplex things a week ago for the first time.. and a bit squirted into my bunnies eye :(

Maybe you could mix the fibreplex into the pellet/banana mix?

I know exactly what you mean, it went everywhere when I tried to use it too. Best thing is to put it into another syringe or onto something bun really likes to eat :)

I tried to use one of those Fibreplex things a week ago for the first time.. and a bit squirted into my bunnies eye :(

Maybe you could mix the fibreplex into the pellet/banana mix?

That would be a good idea but only do it if he is actually eating because he needs to get as much of the dosage that you can get into him. Also make sure he is drinking if hes not then water down his sachet food a bit more or give him some water from a syringe. hope he gets better soon x

I tried the other syringe the vet gave me this morning and there was no problem so I'm cross with myself I didn't do that hours ago. I think there's a batch problem but I will certainly make a complaint to the vet and manufacturer if she thinks it's OK. They need to change something there.

I've put Paddy to bed in the hope that a good sleep will get him back in the mood for breakfast. I think he's getting enough fluids because he's wee d on me three or four times today. Long may he continue to do so!

The black and the white pony, I thought they were mine. Quite amazing, could be my Hedwig and Willow, first thought somebody was trying to cheer me up by posting them!

Thanks for the support, this is all so awful.

Hope he starts eating by himself soon.

Have you got lots of yummy hers to tempt him? Basil and parsley always seem good for tempting bunnies to eat.

Lots of vibes for a quick recovery xxxxx

Is he eating anything by himself? Try grating carrot & chopping his usual veg up into very small bits. Lots of fresh herbs & grass + whatever his favourite things are. Change everything every 2-3 hours if you can so it's always fresh & really tempting. Keep on with the syringe feeding if it's not too stressful for him. Hope he's feeling much better soon :)

When you say he had flystrike, how bad was it? Did he need surgery or did they just clear off maggots, with none penetrated.?

Is he on any pain relief?

When was the last time he ate anything. Are you feeding critical care or recovery, or just fibreplex.

Thanks for all your thoughts.
Paddy has officially had everything. Thankfully no surgery was required but he has been shaved and bathed and checked daily at the vets. He's had pain relief injections daily and antibiotics. Another antibiotic injection today and tomorrow it will be a course of oral stuff to syringe into him. He also had an injection of metaclopramide today and according to the vet nurse this makes most rabbits ravenous within 15 minutes of injection. True enough he's come home and eaten a few leaves and bits of plant we've put before him. It was short lived and I am sure you understand not the miraculous return to normal I'd hoped for. He's lost 1 Kg over the last few days and could do with not losing any more.
I syringed the last batch of recovery food into him at 4.30 this morning (he had not moved since 9.30 last night - still under his jumper) and got a nip on the leg for my trouble! Breakfast at 9.00 was the baby food again. The fibre wotsit is a waste of time. I was too stressed to remember to take it back this morning but if it comes out it's a solid mass which he spits out. Fingers crossed.

Is he moving about much? Blackie had the metaclopramide injection yesterday for stasis, and he only nibbled a bit to start with, but after we let him out to have a run around his appetite picked up and he started eating again.

Hope your fellas appetite returns quickly x

If you can grind up some of the normal pellets you use and mix them with water you can use that to feed your rabbit instaead of the recovery. As it is part of their normal diet it is less stressful for the gut as it is 'normal' food that they usually eat.

You can also offer moisten pellets which for some buns works. dipping dandlion leaves in water often helps keep rabbits hydrated while their intake is lower

The metaclopramide seemed to work for a little while. He ate a few bits of plant but he's not bothered about eating any more. If I put him on the grass he hops into a corner to hide.

Are you going to try some more syringe feeding?

It's worth it even if you can just get some water into him to keep him hydrated.

Back