• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Increased drinking and other problems :/

DaisyDewi

New Kit
Just wondering if anyone could help me...
A few days ago we noticed Dewi (neutered) had a swollen bottom, but the next day it had gone down, anyway daisy and dewi were booked in to have their myxi jabs the next day, so we mentioned Dewi's problem to the vet but she didnt appear too concerned and was more bothered when we said his eyes were a bit runny-she gave him eye drops for a small eye infection thing, however in the last few days one of them (i think dewi) is drinking loads! they used to drink about 75ml between them in 24hrs, but in the last few days they have been emptying their 300ml bottle in 24hrs!! the weather is cooler now than a few weeks ago when they were drinking about 75ml and no routines or conditions have been changed. so i'm wondering is dewi's swollen bottom is related to increased drinking?
does anyone know what might be wrong? (he will be going back to the vet next week when his eye drops have finished for a check up so i will ask then) but any suggestions would be appreciated so i can suggest what might be wrong to the vet who wasnt interested last time!!

I don't know about her swollen bottom but watery eyes and drinking a lot of water are both indicative of dental issues. Have her poos got smaller? Is she refusing crunchier food?

Have you checked that the water bottle is not leaking ?

When you say 'swollen bottom' do you mean the anus or the penis ?

the water bottle isnt leaking. the vet checked his teeth and mouth at the other day and said there was no problem. and its his anus that was swollen but its not anymore, but he was very wet when i picked him up this morning.

the water bottle isnt leaking. the vet checked his teeth and mouth at the other day and said there was no problem. and its his anus that was swollen but its not anymore, but he was very wet when i picked him up this morning.

Not all the teeth can be seen without a GA so it is still possible. Does the vet know about the increased water intake?

well she tried to look at his mouth but he kept biting it so she just said from what she could it was fine so there may be a problem there :/ and they started drinking more after going to the vet but we will mention it next week when we go back for Dewi's eye check.

Back