• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Excessive drinking?

dyoung5

Young Bun
Wondered if anyone thinks my house rabbit has a problem and if they have any idea what it is!!

She is going to the vets but would like any thoughts before we go... She's about three years and has been drinking loads recently - two big dog bowls a day. She does share with a giant bunny but she's always at the bowl drinking away... she does eat alot of hay and not much else so she could just need the extra fluid but I'm worried about everything and anything with her. :(

She had her teeth checked recently when she had her myxi jab so don't think its that. I hope its not signs of kidney trouble but its all I can think of - will they be able to do tests does anyone know and what will they entail? She gets pretty stressed out at the vets as it is. Poor gal.

Could be kidney function or early signs of EC..hopefully your vet will test/treat as necessary
hope she gets sorted

Hey you,

If you are who you think you are, then I know who you are talking about. I'm sorry that she's got something going on. I hope the vet check (or any tests) shows what it is.

Tracy x

Hi Tracy :wave: Good to hear from you

I hope she's okay and its not E.C or her kidneys, something I haven't had experience of before :(

It might be worth them checking under GA. Mischa had a few small spurs on his teeth which they couldn't see with a normal examination.

My thread is here if you want to have a read through, though we're pretty sure the reason for theirs was extra hay and pellets.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=226490

Are they in a warm room? That can make them drink more.

Did it start at any particular time? Like coincided with a new bag of hay? or food? Have you cut down on anything recently (knowing she was-is?- a bit of a porker :lol:)? Is she moulting?

Summer used to drink like a trojan when she was hungry. Rosie drinks like a trojan and we know that she has a calcified kidney (although is currently doing fine).

Good to see you about by the way. I'm expecting some pics on here soon of your crew :wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave:

Could it be simply their diet? we're currently only giving Hero hay and one or two pellets at night and in the morning because I'm determined to get her weight down :roll: and despite being more active with Dumbo she's still 'plump' should we say. I thought I reduced it slowly but maybe she's hungry or because its all roughage she needs the fluids? :? We get dust extracted hay, changed it a few months back.

Temperature is cool indoors and they're on tiles mostly which are cool.

Hunger could make a bunny drink, but also, so could a diet of increased hay (because its dry). Having said that, it is still sounding excessive even for that, so it is worth getting the blood tests, etc, done on her to see what (if anything) is going on.

Hunger could make a bunny drink, but also, so could a diet of increased hay (because its dry). Having said that, it is still sounding excessive even for that, so it is worth getting the blood tests, etc, done on her to see what (if anything) is going on.

Fingers crossed it turns out to be nothing - poor Hero, she's not going to like the trip to the vets though. I better buy some willow balls I think...

Fingers crossed it turns out to be nothing - poor Hero, she's not going to like the trip to the vets though. I better buy some willow balls I think...

Good luck! You are going to have to kiss some serious bunny butt when you get back to make up for daring to take her to the vets.

Whie I was out I remembered that Cloud used to drink excessively when his liver was giving him gip, so that is also something else to bear in mind.

Oh no, I hope its not that! Is there anything else I should be looking out for? She's really worrying me now. She keeps jumping onto my lap tonight all the time, more than usual. She doesn't seem to be in any pain or discomfort though. I'm trying to work out if shes weeing abnormally but she's still using her tray like normal. Very puzzling and I hope its just me being over worried, but I'd rather just check it out to be on the safe side.

She's quite in tune with you, isn't she, so she may be jumping up to you because she feels how stressed you are, and wants to make it ok? How is Dumbo acting with her?

ETA- I would suggest looking out for any unusual behaviour from her, urine around the tail/on the feet, doing lots of little wees, different wee colour/substance, being very fidgety.

Totally normal - following her around and she's grooming him like normal. You're right, she could be just picking up on me stressing. I'm going to just try and not over react - I can't do anything until I know whats going on. In theory I shouldn't panic anyhow! :|

Totally normal - following her around and she's grooming him like normal. You're right, she could be just picking up on me stressing. I'm going to just try and not over react - I can't do anything until I know whats going on. In theory I shouldn't panic anyhow! :|

Theory is always easier than practice.

Maybe do something nice but different for them? because that can sometimes distract from the anxiety you feel. Like maybe get some fresh, or some different hays and create a toy from an empty box or safe container or something.

Thats a good idea - they've nearly destroyed their last box so I'll make another new holey one for them to get their teeth into!

Back