• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pets At Home

AndreaMcKay

Young Bun
Ok so in northern ireland at the moment there isnt much breeders and i cant find any resuces, so i visited 2 different pets at homes and both looked really good, the rabbits had space, tubes and things to hide in, alot of hay, water and small bowl of pellets and veg.

I would get a rabbit from there but i want to hear your opinions about it first?

I know P@H isn't much liked (understandabley) on this site. We got Pinky and Womble from the adoption centre inour local one. We wouldn't use it again but if you are going to I would suggest getting an adoption from there.

I'm sure people would agree that they would rather have them at a nice home than in the adoption) cages there

It's normally next to the rabbits but clearly marked Adoption Centre :) The donation all goes to an animal charity as well

The P@H near me is really good (for a pet shop anyway), but most other branches I've been in are pretty poor x

Before I knew about rescues I bought three rabbits and a guinea pig from P@H and to be honest although I could just of been unlucky I would question the quality of their breeders as all bar one rabbit have been sickly their whole lives. It broke my heart but I had to rehome Bandit to someone who could have him as a house bunny as he had reoccuring respitory infections everytime the weather changed, Bluebell I still have but supposedly has allergies and possibly problems with his larynx and my bridge piggie Fudge was very small and had serious allergies to practically everything.

i was that busy looking at how the rabbits were i never even noticed it :oops:

But yeh il definatly go back a couple more times to take a look and then make my decision in summer:D

has anyone bought hutches from there?
iv heard bad reviews on them

My hutch is from there and I wouldn't recommend them, for the price. I haven't even had mine a year and already one corner is rotting and the roof is warped.
I think you could get a much better quality one for the same price. I'm thinking I may have to replace mine in the next year or so and I'm looking at playhouses. They're fairly cheap and bigger than a hutch :)

I got a 4ft x 2ft hutch from there when I first got Harvey :( it has piggies in now it's held up quite well. If they pee in the corners though it comes straight out of the bottom even though its lined with lino.

Zero is also from there and he has poo issues, and 2 of my piggies are from there and they had an URI.

i was that busy looking at how the rabbits were i never even noticed it :oops:

But yeh il definatly go back a couple more times to take a look and then make my decision in summer:D

I've had a couple of the Primrose Cottage 5 x 2 x 2 double story hutches from there, which have lasted well, but that's cos they've either been in the garage or in the aviary, so I couldn't say how they'd weather the elements.

Ok so in northern ireland at the moment there isnt much breeders and i cant find any resuces, so i visited 2 different pets at homes and both looked really good, the rabbits had space, tubes and things to hide in, alot of hay, water and small bowl of pellets and veg.

I would get a rabbit from there but i want to hear your opinions about it first?

Andrea, where abouts in Northern Ireland are you? There is a lovely rescue just outside of Bangor called Assisi, they have quite a lot of bunnies as I was there yesterday.

ETA: http://www.assisi-ni.org/category/rabbits-and-guinea-pigs/rabbits-currently-available-for-adoption/

Best to go down and ask who they currently have for adoption as any animal they put on the site seems to be gone pretty quickly :lol:

Last edited:
Our adoption centres are both across the other sides of the store from the rabbits for sale, so might be worth having a wander around and also looking at the signs hanging above that say which area what bit is.

That link that Keky has given sounds a good shout too.

It can be a challenge to find rabbits who are in need in NI, but it can be done :) Keep looking and the right rabbits will find you. Good luck!

My bunnies are from P@H, although bought by the previous owner. They are both fit and healthy :)

My hamsters and one of my guineas have also been from there, and again, they are perfectly healthy.

However it seems I have been one of the lucky ones, as so many people have issues.

I would try the Assisi place if possible :)

I wouldn't get a hutch from them, when we got mine home it had the bottoms missing and two ledt hand sides and also half the screws needed. They were really good and refundedfully. But my nan has a hutch for her piggies that lastes 6months.

For the same amount as a P@H hutch you can get a betterbuilt one or even a wendy house and some wood and mesh as make them a attached run to it. :)

I wouldn't get a hutch from them, when we got mine home it had the bottoms missing and two ledt hand sides and also half the screws needed. They were really good and refundedfully. But my nan has a hutch for her piggies that lastes 6months.

For the same amount as a P@H hutch you can get a betterbuilt one or even a wendy house and some wood and mesh as make them a attached run to it. :)

Have to admit that if I was getting the hutches now I would get sheds instead!

Hey!! I'm in N'Ireland. Have you tried Asissi in Bangor, Co. Down - they have squillions of rabbits!!

i got ebony from pets at home in filton bristol she is very healthy ,sociable rabbit but she was sold as a british contnental giant but the vet said she probably isnt as she is 11 months old and only 3 kilos

Back