• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cleaning out nesting area

weedug

Mama Doe
Don't know if this is the right section, but I have a foster bun who is pregnant. She has been messing about a lot in the bedroom section, although there is not a proper nest built there yet, she seems to have been practising.

The problem is overnight she has started doing the toilet in there. Do I disturb any building that she has done to clean it, or leave it for now?

I would suggest moving as much of the nest (i.e. what's clean) to a nest box (something open at the top with high enough sides for mum to get in, but no kits to get out, and big enough for mum to turn around in), and then clean the area. The nest needs to be clean to avoid any potential infections.

Do you know for sure if she is pregnant? or if/when she is due?

If its just poops shes doing I would leave it, but if she has weed in there you might want to clean it out to avoid the kits getting infections and to deter her from doing it anymore. If shes been pulling her fur out try and salvage as much of it as you can to put back into the nesting area when its clean :wave:

She abandoned all building attempts and destroyed what little was there, so I have cleaned it out as it was wet and dirty. She has plenty of bedding if she wants to build something else. So far she's had no interest.

Back