• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Size and General Anestetic

Mrs Ord

Mama Doe
I'll be getting Dexter spayed very soon so she can finally be with her husbin Jasper :D The only thing that worries me is Dexter is very small, tiny in fact. She is also very skinny. She eats a lot but runs around so fast and often she burns it straight off. I'm worried about her going under GA and being so small. Does it make a difference??

This is something you will need to discuss with your vet, but it shouldn't do if done properly. If the vet is concerned about putting her under they can always run some bloods first. :)

usually the smaller & younger the bunny (as long as they are over 1kg) the easier it is. You vet will assess her though when you bring her in to make sure though.

Harvey was neutered at 9 weeks old and I was terrified, but the vet told me she had neutered netherland dwarves who were smaller with no problems :) size doesn't really matter anymore I don't think, I think it made a difference 20 years ago when GA for animals wasnt as advanced

usually the smaller & younger the bunny (as long as they are over 1kg) the easier it is. You vet will assess her though when you bring her in to make sure though.

She may be less than that! Thats the weight of a bag of sugar right? Or thereabouts??? She really is a tiny little girl (she makes up for it by being the bossiest and my little scrapper :lol:)

I would be less worried about absolute size, because the amount of anaesthetic used is broadly proportionate to bodyweight; I would be more concerned to find out whether there is an underlying health problem which is keeping her skinny. I would perhaps discuss that with the vet before any GA and would at least want a blood profile running before putting her under GA.

Good luck x

Back