• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poor Pebs

cloughie

Banned
I have noticed recently that Peb's mouth/ whisker area on one side is constantly wet/damp for most of the day. I believe this is because of the way he drinks out of his bowl, which I will be changing back to bottles when I get the chance to buy one that doesn't leak!

I noticed tonight that his fur in this area was coming out in lil tufts and he now has a bald patch in the whisker area about the size of a 2p coin. At the end of the tufts is a flaky dry piece of skin, which they are lil bits of on the skin in the area that is bald.

I was just wondering...do you think this is because of the constant wetness he has had in that area or does it sound like mites? I will get him to the vets asap but just wondering if anyone has experience this?

I have attached some pics but they're not very good

normally

Photo0037.jpg

with the fur parted

Photo0036.jpg

Photo0035.jpg

Photo0034.jpg

How his fur is coming out

Photo0038.jpg

I am by no means an expert but i would say that it could be a combination of both situations, he drinks funny making his face wet, the hair and skin becomes irritated maybe by him trying to clean/dry the area. if he does have mites they could be attracted to the area due to him scratching/cleaning as it would be easier for them to feed. thus irritating him making him scratch even more and causing his fur to fall out which is also a sign of mites. Well thats just my theory probably completely wrong lol im sure somebody will be along to let you know good luck finding out :D

Are you sure it's the water bottle causing it? Dribbling can be a sign of dental problems.

I completely agree with getting his teeth checked because drooling is typical of dental problems. The excessive dampness can cause what you are describing with the fur.

I had a bunny who would dip her dewlap in her bowl whenever she drunk, but she never had any baldness, because it got wet, and then dried. I think that the fact this has happened in this way means that the area is constantly and chronically wet down to the skin, which may mean its not caused by strange drinking.

I agree get Pebs teeth looked at, what ever is causing the problem the area does look sore and red. Hoping little Pebs is feeling better real soon! :)

I completely agree with getting his teeth checked because drooling is typical of dental problems. The excessive dampness can cause what you are describing with the fur.

I had a bunny who would dip her dewlap in her bowl whenever she drunk, but she never had any baldness, because it got wet, and then dried. I think that the fact this has happened in this way means that the area is constantly and chronically wet down to the skin, which may mean its not caused by strange drinking.

I agree with Sky-O. All mine dip their dewlaps (lops) or manes (lionheads) in their bowl and none have any baldness apart from Mischa who has a small patch where the fur is finer which I think is leftover from his head tilt, but it's nothing like what's in your pictures.

Thank you for your replies :) I didn't even think about dental issues...I do hope not the poor lil fella.

He is booked in to see the vet next week (darn you working Saturdays :()

Back