• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mild sedation

you mean like less than GA? pearl was sedated for her xrays, probably the same stuff but she didnt go to sleep as deep

Artie had a sedation for having his bladder expressed. He didn't have tummy issues exactly but he was so out of it I had to remind him to eat, he could easily have ended up with tummy issues if I hadn't been reminding him to eat all the time. He was a lot more sleepy than I expected, just like after GA when he came home.

i would want a full GA if Alvin was getting his head messed with, i think the fear stress of still being awake would be worse for his tummy than sleeping through it all.

:cry: Poor little girl.

Do you think it would be safer to do a mild sedation rather than a full GA for Jims? So he could have the xrays and teeth check.

You will need to discuss this with your vet. GA's can be given light or heavy in any instance whatever is suitable for the procedure. I suspect a GA will be necessary in order to correctly position Jimby to get a clear Xray that is easy to interpret, that is all I am saying. It may not be the case at all, your vet may feel they can do it under a lighter sedation. You will need to discuss with them. :)

i would want a full GA if Alvin was getting his head messed with, i think the fear stress of still being awake would be worse for his tummy than sleeping through it all.

I agree, they have to really position the head properly to get the right shots.

I really don't think you should worry about it upsetting his tummy too much. Nino was bloating and getting stasis SO recurrently and was on daily metclopramide at the same time he had his Xrays under GA and he was absolutely fine. :D With proper care from your veterinary team and a nice big fluid bolus as part of the procedure, and any necessary drugs, i'm sure Jimby can come through it fine too. I took along Nino and Poppy's litter tray stuffed with hay and lots of leaves/veggies (to go in the clinic's fridge) and so they had everything they needed for their admission. My vet was very kind and gave my buns the isolation room away from the dogs and cats as it was not in use which meant they had a nice big dog cage! I even took their vet bed and blanket :oops::oops::lol: and my vet laid it all out for them. When I rang to see how he was doing he was apparently wide awake sat munching hay in his tray :D I'm sure Jimby will be fine, most vets are very quick with GA's and Xrays these days and he won't be under for long. Just use a vet you feel you can really trust. x

I agree, they have to really position the head properly to get the right shots.

I really don't think you should worry about it upsetting his tummy too much. Nino was bloating and getting stasis SO recurrently and was on daily metclopramide at the same time he had his Xrays under GA and he was absolutely fine. :D With proper care from your veterinary team and a nice big fluid bolus as part of the procedure, and any necessary drugs, i'm sure Jimby can come through it fine too. I took along Nino and Poppy's litter tray stuffed with hay and lots of leaves/veggies (to go in the clinic's fridge) and so they had everything they needed for their admission. My vet was very kind and gave my buns the isolation room away from the dogs and cats as it was not in use which meant they had a nice big dog cage! I even took their vet bed and blanket :oops::oops::lol: and my vet laid it all out for them. When I rang to see how he was doing he was apparently wide awake sat munching hay in his tray :D I'm sure Jimby will be fine, most vets are very quick with GA's and Xrays these days and he won't be under for long. Just use a vet you feel you can really trust. x

What if he dies on the table?! :cry: :shock:

Could it just be that he really is very subseptiable to stress and the slightest thing stresses him out and there for goes in to statis?

Could it just be that he really is very subseptiable to stress and the slightest thing stresses him out and there for goes in to statis?

If he were my Rabbit I would want my Vet to carry out diagnostics as without them I'd never know.

Yes, stress can reduce gut motility, but I would not be happy to just assume that was the cause without investigating other possibilities.

how is his eating now? maybe try the blood tests first then move onto xrays if they dont give any answers?

if alvin has anymore stasis after this diet overhaul ill be requesting full body xrays and if he dies on the table atleast the suffering of stasis will be over for him.

id much rather lose a pet doing the right thing for my pet than not, but thats just me. id feel more guilty losing a pet knowing i could of done something but didnt

i think your vet will be able to reassure you how safe GA actually is hun :D

I was a nervous wreck when he was put under for his neuter and we had only had him 2 weeks at that time! I fell for him I second I saw him. :love:

I do not want to CAUSE a bigger problem than there is by doing something that could make a problem- if that makes any scense. :roll:

aww i dont think bunnies are good pets for us stress heads.

if hes stasis prone like Alvin i very much doubt theres anything that could make it worse than stasis every 45 days (or 11 as weve had too :cry::cry:).

i will do anything to stop it happening and weve only done half the tests that can be done. im quite head in the sand and ive avoided tests for 3 years pretty much but the last two episodes lasted two weeks and it almost killed me on top of pearls illness and i think pearls illness is the reason i wont delay again ever. i want to know why and that involves further tests when the time no doubt comes :cry::cry:

go with what your vet thinks hun, no point torturing yourself on something that may never happen. but in a few years time youll probably be at the point i am right now and the fear of more stasis will far outweigh the fear of the tests.

if hes oks now maybe wait and see how he does, but only you and your vet know really... us posting can only go on our own experiences and i have admittedly put off the tests myself prefering not to know so i totally understand why you dont want to go there yet :wave::wave:

Back