• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advicce on rabbit keeping to colleuge

bunlover

Warren Veteran
Hey guys,

A freind at work contacted me yesterday (as he knows i have rabbits and love em lots) he says for ages his son pestered him for a rabbit(sons are age 8 and 12 its the 12 yr old i think?) he keeps saying no but a freind of the family said they were giving up thier two bonded females and would they like them come with hutch, so he said yes and took them on, he is more than happy along with wife to do general cleaning and day by day care for them but is shocked at thier behaviour, they are very aggressive particularly the one of them and keep lunging growling and biting and scratching him and his son.

he asked me if there is any way to tame them or if not if there is anywehre that would take them, the run is not attatched to hutch and so in order to put them out they have to be picked up.

My first suggestion was nuetering them both due to hormones (they are roughly 1 yr old)

I have jsut gotten together some leaflets on rabbits care such as biting the hand that feeds etc and would love to help turn these buns into happy bunnies,

apart from stroking on thier level and getting a run to attach to hutch so not have to be picked up and sitting on floor letting them come to you and neutering is there any other advice i should mention in terms of behavioural help (have leaflets on diet and vaccs too)

he siad he got them thinking as a pair they would be happier and that they had been stuck in a garage and never let out so immediatly bought them a run and try to let them out as much as posible its becoming increasingly hard(had them about 2weeks now i think) He is trying but got them for the kids and while doesnt mind caring for them doesnt want to have to fear them or have kids fear them due to biting and should they continue to be aggressive he would look for a more suitable home. do you think boredom and possibly too small a hutch could contribute i havent seen accomodation so know nothing about it.

I would say that you can't be sure how they were previously treated and also they have just gone through a big change.

I would give them time to settle and supply them with plenty of toys etc. Then slowy introduce the kids and himself. just sit near them and allow them to get used to the scent, them being there etc. They may never be cuddly Buns but they are also unfortunately not toys that you can reset so I think patience is going to be key

I would say that you can't be sure how they were previously treated and also they have just gone through a big change.

I would give them time to settle and supply them with plenty of toys etc. Then slowy introduce the kids and himself. just sit near them and allow them to get used to the scent, them being there etc. They may never be cuddly Buns but they are also unfortunately not toys that you can reset so I think patience is going to be key

thanks, i dont think they mean to be impatient i think its just not knowing about rabbits, also he is from australia where mostly rabbits are considered pests so keeping one as a "pet" is new to them. they seem willing to undertake the consequences if they can but didnt want the kids or rabbits unhappy which is reasonable to want, i will aslo give them local rescue telephone numbers so can ask advice and suggest my freind joins ru to learn more too. thanks.

Back